Fat Quarter Parties

I would like to share something with this group, who have given me so much!

When I first began LA quilting, I thought I would sell fabrics for backings. I never really liked the extra wide backings because of limited choice, so I bought (and sold) 44" wide fabrics. I offered to piece the backing at a reasonable price as a service.

I bought only sale fabrics from a local distributor (I have a business license), and I kept my prices in line with the sale prices I was getting from the distributor, so that I could offer them at a good deal to my customers.

As more and more of my customers came to me for fabric (not only for backings), I bought more and more! Since I work out of my home, storing these became a problem, so I sent out a note that I would host 'fat quarter parties' to hopefully rid myself of my extra fabrics. I put together 4 huge bins of fat quarters, also a big bin of fat quarter and fat 8th 'bundles', some kits, plus anything else I had on hand to sell and offered to go to home parties.

So, I had my first one last week. One of my customers invited her whole guild and it was a huge success! I made over $1,000 in sales - she was able to spend 10% of total sales at my 'store' as her reward!!! As a bonus, I was introduced to 40 new potential customers! My 2nd one was much smaller - just a normal quilter and her friends, but it still made me money and the hostess received about $40 to spend in my store.

I hope this note is an inspiration to you all. Find ways to get your business going. Provide trust, good service, good value, and you will get the customers.

Wow! What a wonderful idea and sharing it. My friend and I now have a business license for quilting retreats. We are also Quilt in a Day certified teachers. We are having a retreat this week and just spent a lot of time, energy, and $ trying to make kits and make them affordable for our retreaters. We would love more information on your fabric source as we're just beginning and need to find a source for reasonable fabric.;) Our website is:

www.quiltingonthemountain.com

Beth

Beth, I order from Checker Distributors (which is in Ohio) and they have very reasonable shipping rates. I live in Ontario, Canada and I go to Northcott fabrics which is in Vaughan. They have beautiful fabrics. But I am able to drive there (I can be there in an hour), so I am very fortunate!

This has been fun for me! I have 2 more parties booked, and one 'maybe'.

A funny story - after I had my first party, I took the $$$ and bought more fabric! Yes, here my purpose was to rid myself of surplus, but instead I bought more! My son came home from college for the summer and I told him I made $1,000 and it was on his bed. He ran to his room only to find his bed covered in bolts of fabric! :P:P:P

A funny story - after I had my first party, I took the $$$ and bought more fabric! Yes, here my purpose was to rid myself of surplus, but instead I bought more! My son came home from college for the summer and I told him I made $1,000 and it was on his bed. He ran to his room only to find his bed covered in bolts of fabric! :P:P:P

Caroline, that is SO funny. I pictured my teen girls with similar reactions.

Archived