HELP!!! batting question

Usually only quilt for myself and family. Making a quilt 118" x 118" for friend of my DD who has been very good to her and her family when they moved to CA (far away). she has done a little research and wants a wool batt and wants it to have high definition.

Love quilting on wool, but alone it is not high definition. Could I use a silk batt with the wool and not make the quilt too heavy? Or any suggestions would be appreciated. Even thought of cotton batt with wool, but am afraid of the weight of the quilt. Would someone with experience please HELP? She is buying supplies (and my labor is free for this kind person), and she is not concerned about cost.

Marilyn

I just finished a quilt with only a wool batt and there is definition due to how the quilt was quilted. It can work, especially if you do some tight work in some of the quilt areas. This is a closeup of what the customer wanted. Very open work. You can see more definition in the puzzle areas with only a straight stitch.

Personally, I don't double batt a quilt that will be used, only quilts that will be in a show or wall quilt.

post--13461908481195_thumb.jpg

I have quilted with just Quilter's Dream wool, and it does give "high definition" quilting, I think. I've never used silk, but I did use a layer of QD poly Select , and a layer of Hobbs wool on top of that and got loft high enough to give a trapunto look to the motifs with very heavy background fill. It wasn't heavy or stiff, and even with the heavy quilting, had nice drape. It was a large wall quilt, not a bed quilt, though.

What brand wool batting are you using? Quilter's Dream is some pretty lofty stuff. You might not need a second layer with it, depending on the density of the quilting.

Ladies, Thanks for suggestions and experiences. I would have to order QD - and I can do that. Have only used the Hobbs Tuscany Collection 100% Wool and it quilted nicely and had some definition, but my DD's friend wants something "poufy". Think I better order the QD

and see how that will work. Any other suggestions, feel free to chime in. Get all of my quilting lessons on this site. Everytime I think I can attend a class, something needs repairing. (That is what happens as I age, but it is better than the alternative.) Feel so fortunate that God has blessed me so that I still have a fairly active life, in spite of all of the repairs.

Have learned so much from this site and everytime I have a question, usually someone else has asked it just before I need the answer.

So (if I understand), most quilters usually double batt only for wall hangings and trapunto work or show quilts. Working with two batts does not bother me - I was only concerned with the weight of the quilt as it is large. (And of course wanting it "poufy".)

Next stop is the Quilter's Dream site.

Marilyn

Maybe Heidi will chime in she does alot of QD wool and I think she used Hobbs on bottom. I haven't used double batting yet but I have one to do and I am going to use both for this next quilt. I will do a thread search here in a minute to see if I can find it for you.

And after seeing Laura's sample, maybe I should just send it to her for quilting. That is a lovely quilt and the quilting surpasses anything I can do.

My DD, family and this lovely friend live in Valencia and love California.

NW Ohio is a long way - but I do visit occasionally.

thanks, Laura and Lynn

Marilyn

Guest Linda S

I use both QD and Hobb's Tuscany Wool (or the Heirloom Wool on the big roll). I like wool batting because, in my opinion, it gives wonderful definition. No, it's not really poofy, but it does give nice definition.

Marilyn, thanks for the nice words on the quilt - you gave a me a good morning grin. I really think one layer of wool will be ok and depending on how you quilt it - there will be plenty of "pouf". Wool just works that way.

Can't wait to see what you do!

Laura,

Have to finish the piecing the quilt and probably won't get the quilting started for another month. This is gardening time and I find, as I age, everything takes 3 times as long.

Started piecing quilts about 9 years ago - and then bought a quilting machine n 2005. Have had several successful surgeries which kept me from the quilting machine for a couple of years. Made one simple quilt and I was hooked.

Haven't taken pictures of most of the quilts I have assembled. My oldest DD is in the process of locating them and getting pictures. She is of the opinion that is "one of the least intelligent" things I have done. Daughters - don't we love them.

So when I finish this quilt (making 2 identical at the same time), will take a picture and get my DD to post it for me. New computer skills are difficult when you are pushing "80". But I am so happy to be nearing that age.

Thanks for all of the help from all of the ladies and gents on this site. It is the first thing I read every morning.

Marilyn

Archived