Feather length?

Whatever you want, but ideally something that will fit in the working area of your machine. I tend to go a bit smaller than Kristina probably about 3" but really what matters is how comfortable you are with the size. You'll work faster when you are comfortable with what you are doing, so unless that it really tiny that is probably the best size for you.

Ferret

The size is only limited by how big or small you can quilt comfortably and competently. I'm like Shana with a limit to how large I can stitch without funny shapes escaping! When I am stitching a feather meander I like to keep the spaces between the curves to no bigger than the width of my hand. With the feathers stitched at an angle, I guess 3 inches long would be the max.

Thank you, Shana, Ferret, Kristina, and Linda! My last practice run I did a few different sizes, and so therefore it had me wondering what sizes others liked the best. I think the 3" range is the most comfortable for me. I can relate to the "hot dogs" or "fingers" Shana mentioned as my bigger ones start to look odd! :D

Guest Linda S

I don't like mine to be longer than 4-5 inches or those feathers start looking like hot dogs or fingers.

I've had mine resemble other body parts when they get much bigger than 5". :P If I have a large space to fill, I generally go for a more curling spine and shorter feathers undulating back and forth. If I'm doing a feather meander, I like that look over going in one direction and then back.

Archived