Help with designs, please

I have this top that I need some help with designs, please. I have to put a flower in each floral (6 inch) square and a leaf vine in the ferny(is that a word?) 2 inch sashing. The floral squares go from dark corners to light center of the top. Green thread throughout. Can anyone suggest a simple flower for the squares and maybe draw it for me. I don't think any of this will show, but that's what I need. And any other design ideas for the rest of the top would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

post--13461908583122_thumb.jpg

Where is Linda when you need her (and Heidi, Bobbi, Carmen, Sheri, Shauna . . . )

For the flower centers - can't you start with a swirl and then just stitch petals around and around until it's as big as you want? Feathers would be good in the light green triangles! and maybe 1 of Linda's border treatments in the sashing. Can't find the 1 I was looking for, but here's some!

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=30294&page=1#pid388854

janice, i tried drawing something but it didn't go thru. anyway, since you said it won't show anyway...i was thinking simple...like a 6 petal flower - daisy like in the squares. on the ferny borders what about a curved stem like for feathers but instead just come out with a wisp & back to the stem (backtracking on the little curved wisp). in the diamonds the curved diamond in the middle...don't know what you call it. i like the idea for feathers in the triangle also. there are way more experienced people here than me...just wanted to share some thoughts.

You can stitch a simple rose by starting a spiral design in the middle of the square. Spiral out with humps to make the rose. You can fill the corners of the square as you go by adding leaves.

You could repeat the same rose pattern in the background triangles. They'd show nicely there.

post--13461908583334_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ladies. These are some good ideas; please keep them coming. I have to put a leaf vine in the light sashing. I like the feathers in the triangles, but I don't think I can do anything but the simplest feather, NO BACKTRACKING! My biggest problem would be balance and being consistent in every block. (that's why I asked for simple;). I might be able to put a rose in the squares and maybe one in the triangles with some leaves to fill it out. What about the border around the square; leave it blank, parallel lines..... yes, no? maybe?

Please don't desert me this weekend. And I still need something for the borders.

I so suck at this:( sigh......

Janice,

I would probably put a feather wreath in the floral blocks which would be a perfect opportunity to work on backtracking because it won't show. Use a stencil to mark it and then just follow the lines. The other option is a rose type flower that you start with a circle and keep scalloping out. Add leaves or swirls to fill in the corners of the block. DeLoa has a book called Quilt me a Flower Garden that would be perfect for this type of quilt. You wanted leaves in the sashing so I added those in. For whatever reason those are something I have to think hard about. LOL I like the straight lines and cc's that Annie drew for you. You can do a ferny style feather in the setting triangles and those are a little more forgiving. If you choose not to do a feather then jsut stitch straight lines. I hope that helps.

post--13461908584674_thumb.jpg

Janice, if I were doing the flower block, I would probably draw out the design and "trace" it with the laser, stitching it onto the quilt the front of the machine (if you have this option). Do a few blocks this way until you get comfortable and feel like you can tackle a block from your muscle memory of tracing the others onto the quilt.

Quiltmaker has some quilting motifs on CDs that you can print out on your computer and do this with. I got volumes 1-5 cheap somewhere. Also, in their magazines, they also have some motifs with their quilt patterns (or they used to anyway) that are great for using as quilting ideas. Does anyone know if they still have these in their issues?

Thanks Heidi and Bonnie. It's coming together even more now with your ideas. Heidi, I can do the leafy vine in the trianges and I like your larger leaves in the sashing. I was thinking small with a loop or swiggle to connect. I don't do stencils. I have never been satisfied with marking them, plus it has to be a flower in the square.

Bonnie, I thought about that exact same thing using the laser from the front. I am a panto girl; give me a pattern and I can trace it, no problem; freehand, not so much. I recall that Quiltmaker had these but I'm not sure if they still do. It would be so much easier if I had a pattern to follow with the laser for each flower then I'd be sure they would all be the same. Thanks again.

Archived