Hanging and photographing quilts

I have been thinking about getting a photography stand for taking pictures of finished quilts, but am not sure if I want the floor space taken up which they seem to use......

What kind of set up do you guys have for photographing or hanging your quilts in order to take the photo of the whole quilt, I was thinking maybe a curtain pole may do the trick with clips, but am interested to see what good ideas others use....

Janette,

I'm lazy. I love my photographers stand and use it for all of my photos. I have it set up like an 'archway' between my living and dining rooms, i.e. my studio. I leave it set up all of the time - the lazy part. The stand is perpendicular to my living room windows, so I have good side lighting in the mornings to take pictures of quilts.

Lynn

You can easily rig a hanging system that can be left up at the ceiling out of the way when you aren't using it.

Mine is made with a one-by-two, four eye bolts, a length of rope, pony clamps, and a tie-off at the wall.

I hang quilts for presentation and then it gets pulled up to the ceiling. I'll find a photo to show.

Only thing necessary is that it's bolted into ceiling joists.

post--13461908598787_thumb.jpg

that looks great Linda, I have weird ceilings at my studio (which I rent) so not sure what I could screw into yet, but that is such a good, simple idea I will study that photo a bit more and show hubby....

Thanks for the photo:)

Linda,

I really like this idea of yours better. I am so tired of setting up my stands and pulling down stuff around here and climbing and up and down the ladder. If and ever we get to build or add a studio for me, I have to copy your idea. Thank you.

Corey

I have a stand and you are right-it is a pain to put up and take down, but it does display the quilt nicely when it is too big to hand or drape anywhere else. I use it when I have been working on a big quilt that I have spent alot of time on and I want to wow the customer when she walks in and see's it. But since I seem to take so long to get quilts finished - it does not stay up which is why I say it is a pain to put up and take down even though it only takes a few mins.

I have the stand as well. Bought it with the intention of taking it down when not in use, but found it doesn't really get in my way so I leave it up. The "feet" take up maybe a 2' square area, but I have mine sitting up close to my work table and it's not in my way. I don't leave it extended all the way up. Just yesterday I used it to drape a batting from a package so it would relax and be ready to use. Even if I did take my stand down, it is very easy to do. Mine came with a bag to hold it too or it would slide under your work table or a bed easily.

I would love to be able to take pictures outside, but we live in the country, on a hill, so 99% of the time it is too breezy. I don't have an outside clothesline either.

Archived