fabric department

I have just heard that the fabric department is going to be discontinued. Has anyone else heard this. This is a mistake, as many of us live in the country or country town and do not want or able to travel 30 to 50 miles just for a yard of fabric or notion. Hope everyone goes to Wal-Mart and sign the petition to stop them from doing this. Hopefully they will change their minds. Nita

That is too bad for those who live far away from a fabric store because it is a resource for many. But...not trying to sound like a fabric snob...the grey goods that the fabric is printed on is usually of lower quality, even most of the stuff on the Joanns calico wall is the same way. I feel that if I am going to put all the time and effort in to a quilt I want my fabric to be of good quality. Hence, quilt shops or the higher end Joanns stuff. I live 35 miles from the closest quilt shop, yes, it is a trip, but for me it is worth the investment. Yes, I pick up at my quilt shops with the farthest one being 45 miles away. It takes me about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to make the loop to all three shops and then I travel another 45 miles the other direction to a different quilt shop.

Speaking of a country town...mine consists of a gas station with post office, a Dr's office and one other building.

At this point very little piecing is happening, but I hope to change that come the New Year. I plan on setting some time aside for me. What a marvelous idea? How come it has taken me so long to do this?

Have a great Holiday!

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Cheryl - speaking of small towns..... all we have is a Post Office (which they

want to close:( ) and a pop machine. There used to be a Pay Phone before

they re-did the main road in town. Took it out.... lack of use - so many cell

phones now days.

That is to bad about Walmarts fabric...... I missed it when they took it out

of Shopko too. I will buy that fabric - at only $1.00 a yard - I make curtains

for the girls rooms, don't care if they fade - can toss them out after a bit,

and make new ones cheap enough, nice the make changes like that.

But I agree, with the amount of time and work I put into a quilt - I have

gotten to be a bit of a snob. There are some brands at the quilt shop I dont

like either - too thin!!

Since I live in Philadelphia, I have many fabric options. I have three quilt shops, a Wal-Mart and JoAnn's store all within a 30-40 minute drive from my home. Also, in the down town area we have "fabric row," although it seems to sell more other types of fabric, rather than quilter's cottons. So, I guess I am pretty lucky in that respect.

I have found reasons to shop in all the stores. I definately prefer buying my quilting fabrics at the 3 quilt shops, but sometimes JoAnn's has "just the right" color or print, Wal-Mart, too. In that case, I buy from them.

I have noticed the Wal-Mart near me has less and less fabric on the shelves. Perhaps they plan to discontinue it, too. Also, the JoAnn's has gotten rather dumpy in the last year or two, and I'm not sure weather it is the staff or another reason.

I guess it is nice to have a choice of where one can shop conveniently and it would be a shame if the only store within miles discontinues their fabric sales. I hope it all works out for the quilters who depend on Wal-Mart fpr much of their fabric and /or supplies.

Don't overlook ebay for quilt store quality fabric at lower prices. Most us know the brands of the quilt store fabric like Moda or others so you can search for what you like. It's really good for high quality backings. I recently saw Kaffe Facet fabric in 5 yard lots for 20 dollars with 5 for shipping. That is a super deal on high quality fabrics. It's also great for fat quarter bundles, books and more. I must warn it is a little addicting.

Norece,

Have you checked out bighornquilts.com....she carries a wide variety of fabrics (often hard to find stuff), quilt shop quality, but sells for less. Overhead in Greybull, Wy is alot less. I have purchased from her many times...she is quick and reliable.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

This note was posted on the HGTV.com message boards from Walmart she said.

Thank you for your message.

Thank you for you recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Wal-Mart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores opening in early 2007, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of cut fabrics. Wal-Mart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Customer Relations

Archived