Anyone remember this?

Well, I just SKINNED it! Yup!

I had originally attempted to quilt it freehand on my DSM, and it looked like a kindergarten project. It's almost completely apart, it's taken a couple of months of evenings (the tension was horrible, so there were large stitches as well as tiny tiny ones) and I'm now down to ripping out the stabilizing lines... Can't wait to get it on the long arm!

post--13461908654025_thumb.jpg

Oh, Bobbi, you give me hope for a couple of tops my friend quilted when she first got her longarm. The tops are still good but the quilting has issues. Maybe I will skin them and requilt. I'm anxious to see how yours turns out....pretty top!

Recently, I had a quilt that I took the whole backing off. Problem was I had used water solutuable thread in the bobbin when I pieced it. Unfortunately, I did not remember that until the quilt was pieced and quilted.Took about 15 years to finally suck it up and start frogging it. Big job, big mess... BIG lesson. I still have not finished renewing the bad spots.

YES! Thanks! Shana, that IS a great tip!

I thought I'd share a pic of my "skinning" tools... But first here's what I did...

I had (on my domestic) attempted to quilt hearts in the center of the blocks with some sort of little feather on the ends. It was awful... I took my Amish thread picker and picked out all the stitching for those from the back of the quilt. To do this you have to be prepared to destroy the backer as well as the batting. (not that it WILL happen, just plan on it) The stitching was all cattywampus, with tiny tiny stitches as well as long missed stitches. It took about 3 weeks of evenings to do 2-4 motifs an evening. I then took off the binding, frogged the SID that was around each 12" block, and it came apart really easily. My point is that on this particular quilt, there wasn't a lot of stitching so it was not hard.

Here's my tools! I won't be able to post a pic of the finished quilt because I have customer quilts to do! YAY! When it's done I will post...

post--13461908698776_thumb.jpg

Archived