Your thoughts on thin backings and help, please

I have an applique quilt up next that has a bit of a thin backing fabric. The quilt top is mostly batiks, appliqued on white fabric. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this fabric combo, before I load it and get started. I will be using Hobbs 80/20, Isacord thread, and a size 16 needle. Smaller to medium size stippling around the applique. Quilting a little bigger in the sashings, not sure yet, but nothing overkill, per client. She wanted a panto to begin but the applique is too pretty for that, so not a bunch of dense quilting anywhere. Do you think I would have problems with a thin backing fabric with this scenario? I think it will be okay but I do wish the backing fabric was a little thicker. It will be a wall hanging when done.

Also what order should I quilt it? I'm going to go from top to bottom (I know, I know, duh!) but wish to complete a row before advancing. There's sashings and blocks. I'm thinking to SID around the applique block/sashing, then the fill block with filler, then stitch around applique, then stitch the sashing. Is there a better stitching order than this?

Thank you for any thoughts. I'm learning as I go :):):):):):)

I quilted a quilt last year with a thin backing fabric and it did not turn out well. My stitches were never pretty as they normally are. There were a couple of places where I got a hole or two on the back from the pressure of the threads. I did call the owner and she was understanding. Once washed, she said the holes closed up.

Oh Sylvia, this is what I'm worried about! I am not having as much good luck with thin backings as I do with the nice quality ones and worry that someone may be upset by the outcome, as I know I am when they aren't as nice as I would like them to be! The holes you mentioned is my fear, too.

Bonnie, if this is a wallhanging, why not just warn the customer that her choice of a thin backing might affect the stitch quality on the back? She chose it, not you, right? And she may not care about the back - even tho we do!;)

I think I would talk to the customer and tell her your concern, tell her about your past experience with the thinner backing then ask her if she would like to replace it with a thicker (or sturdier one). If she doesn't, her reminder of the issues, have her sign an waiver and then quilt it. It is a wall hanging so it isn't going to be used on a bed or as a lap quilt so it may be alright. Good luck!

I too would talk to her and express your concerns with the voice that you want her to be proud of her finished quilt and want it to look it's best after all of the work she put into it. Then if she wants to continue, I'd definately go with the same color thread on both the front and back...

I'd SID any straight lines so that they stay straight, then the appliques, then do the larger fill and then do any smaller background last as they will draw in the fabric.

Some do all of the SID on the whole quilt first but I find that mine seem to wrinkle after being rolled up so I prefer to do a section at a time being very careful to keep the sides straight as I advance so you don't have any puckers or waving on the bottom border.

Bonnie, I am learning as I go also and most of the time don't feel qualified to answer quilting questions but ...lol...I have done a couple applique quiltes and I stablize the block, stitch around the applique and then fill. On the ones I have done, I actually did all the blocks across and then went back and did the sashing and then the border. Might be a better way but that seemed to work for me. I don't like to work from the outside to the inside.

I would stitch around the applique before doing the background fill. That way the appliqué will stay positioned correctly and also puff out more.

I think the Hobbs 80/20 is thick enough that you won't have problems with the thinner backing. I would spend some time up front adjusting your top and bobbin tensions, so that you get a good stitch. You might suggest to the customer that blocking the quilt (after it is quilted) but before the binding is attached will make the quilt hang straighter.

Vicki, Della and Joan, thank you for the tip to stitch around the applique first. I have seen some videos where that is performed last to help give the applique a pouf, but I understand why it would be better do it that first. I'm glad you mentioned it!

Thank you to everyone for all the advice. I'm taking it all into consideration and will talk to her about the backing when she picks up her first two quilts.

Archived