saddle stool vs drafting stool

Hi Girls

I asked Santa for a saddle stool and he brought a drafting stool. I haven't assembled it yet cause I'm sure it's not the right stool. This one has a back to it where I don't think a saddle stool has a back.

What do you all use and is this drafting stool going to work for me? I wanted it for working at the front of the machine.

Thx

Rita

ps...Happy New Year to you all!!!

Guest Linda S

Rita - I have both. I use the drafting stool when I'm working at my cutting table. I can't use it to work at the front of the machine -- it's just uncomfortable.

Linda

I've seen saddle stools with backs when I Googled "saddle seat" instead of "saddle stool". Here's a link to one that offers different options you can get when you order such as the foot ring like a drafting stool, or a foot trigger under the casters for raising or lowering the chair. It also offers, vynal, fabric, or leather upholstry. I think the back would be nice to have but if you don't like it, just don't put it on!

http://www.bambach.com.au/

Guest tiffanikathryn

Rita,

I have the backless saddle stool. You should be able to see it at the link below. I couldn't quilt for a long period of time without it. I was akward(sp) at first to get used to actually getting on it, but it keeps me sitting up and reduces stress on my back.

http://www.bizchair.com/st205-os.html

Tiffani

TiffanisStitches@msn.com:):)

I tried a saddle stool once and LOVED it. I have spine problems and I don't think that a drafting stool would be as comfortable if you have any problems. The saddle stool is very awkward to get on, but once you get on it it forces your spine into the proper position and you can just feel the stress on bad joints disappear. If you can exchange it, I would.

Kathy-wannabe Liberty owner

I bought a drafting stool from Office Max, it was $119. I did not put the back on and actually sit with the back in the front. In other words, if I had put the back on, it would have been in the front.

I have a pelvic pain problem and the saddle stool configuration put too much pressure on.........well you can figure it out! But with my hardwood floors, I just fly back and forth, and I can even push myself back to my table to wind a bobbin, grab a ruler, etc., without getting up!

A low cost version of a saddle chair can be ordered from Improvements.com , I think mine was $39 maybe $46 with shipping. It's adjustable in 1" increments. I guess it is really more of a bike seat than saddle. I have tried the saddles at each show, I have never convinced myself that I would ever feel comfortable on the seat, or comfortable to spend the $260 for it. This is just a budget altrnative. I use it for all outlining, micro stipple or when the back hurts. My feet usually are on floor but can put feet on legs if need be. I have a Liberty now and it helps with the limited viewing of what you're doing. This might be more than you want to know but when working down the width of table am able to clench buns and carry the stool with me without having to take hands away from machine to move it.

Sue

If you want a really comfortable saddle seat and do not mind spending a bit I would suggest the Freedom Saddle Seat.

You can review it @ http://www.infogrip.com/product_view.asp?RecordNumber=938

There are some very nice features for the money. The seat has a hydrulic height adjustment at the each saddle point. It can be ordered with wheels or with pads. I have carpet in my studio and the pads work very well for slidding on the carpet. The other big advantage to this "seat" is that you can drop it down to the lowest level and it will pass under the machine. In a small studio this is very nice. The seat is very comfortable and cool. The hydraulic lift also has a cushioning effect. The 5 legs make this a very stable platform and very safe.

I had mine on trial before I purchased it. I found that it was well worth the extra $.

Happy New Year All

Santa (love that guy ;)) brought me a saddle stool from BizChair.com. I love it...it is very comfortable and has helped me work from the front of the machine. Especially like the footrest. I am on berber carpet, but just put one foot down and push along.

After he had it ordered he found a place where they were a little less: http://www.csnchairs.com/Office-Star-ST205-OT1111.html It is the same stool. Both places offered free shipping.

I had tried the Harley stool at Sam's. It had a small back, but didn't seem as comfortable to me...want to be able to sit there for hours of fun!:P

I bought mine at CSN/Office Star products for 95.00 (product id ST205). They have a lowest price guarantee -- at the time I had seen it on another web site (sorry, can't remember which one) for much less and they gave me a lower than that web site price. CSN also has free shipping. You have to compare apples/apples - which means if you find it less and there are shipping charges, that is apples/bananas. So here is a little info I found:

buyonlinenow has it for >$105w/free shipping. You can probably call CSN and get it for $100. I LOVE this chair -- so does the rest of my family -- I may have to get a couple more. GOOD LUCK!!

$104.71 http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewproduct.asp?SKU=OSPST205. CSN has Low price guarantee -- http://www.csnchairs.com/customerservice/about.asp?settab=5

Guest Linda S

I'm not sure if you can make out both of the chairs in this picture. They are both on the left. This was taken early on in setting up my studio, when I was trying them both out. The saddle stool won.

Gee, I wonder if my studio will ever be that clean again? It certainly doesn't look like that now.

1312_Finished_2.jpg:P

Guest Linda S

That's a 14' table. Probably looks really long because of the angle of the picture, plus the Liberty head is a bit smaller than the Millennium. ;) Believe me, I can use the exercise to walk around it. The wiring set up is the type of curtain rod that hospitals use to hang the sliding curtains between beds. You can Google cubicle curtains and find it I think. I got mine from a place in Seattle. I can't remember exactly, but I think the place was called Evergreen (appropriate for Seattle, no?).

Santa got me a drafting chair for Christmas. It is adjustable up and down, has a foot rest ring around the bottom which is also adjustable and the seatback is adjustable both up and down and in and out. It has no arms on it and is on a stable 5 spoke wheeled base like an office chair would be. I've just finished doing a wallhanging that was all freemotion and sid and used the chair with no problems. I think he got it from a local used office furniture place. My only complaint so far is that the cat thinks it's for her use! LOL

Timi Bronson

All Sewed Up

Salem, CT

I just got the 39 dollar seat and just used it a little bit. I am having so much trouble with my shoulders I can only do one hour of quilting and have to stop. I have the millenium and do mostly pantographs as I am not good at free motion. I can work on my Mega quilter longer as I stand up straighter with that. I see some can raise the machine. Do you have to have the hydraulic lift to do that or what? If my shoulders keep hurtingI may have to quit altogether and go back to doll clothes. I have finished most of my tops so when I get them all done may sell both machines, I let a friend use the machine and she had a little pain from it too but she managed to do two quilts. Doctor said it is the rotator cup from too much repetitive motion. Any ideas about what I am doing wrong would be appreciated. You are all so helpful to everybody, I appreciate that too.

Archived