Stencils and chalk, oh my

I am looking for tips on (a) HOW to apply chalk, and (B) how to make my own stencils. I've tried Miracle chalk white, and the pounce pad keeps coming apart, and the Hancy pounce, which bounces off the quilt before I finish the design. I didn't mark the top before putting it on my Millie, because the quilt is enormous, with embroidery designs to quilt around. I'm placing selected motifs here and there and then free motioning around them. Also have side borders to do, but will worry about that later. I've read about using hair spray to hold the Hancy in place, but don't want to do that to this customers' quilt. Thanking you all in advance, you bless my life every time I post. Maybe someday I can help someone down the line :).

I use the pounce pad but don't actually "pounce" it but rather wipe it across the stencil. Some others use this chalk or the miracle chalk and apply it with a fluffy make up brush...I'm sure others will chime in. If the design is stitched right away I don't have a problem seeing it. Some does bounce off. I have made my on stencils using the golden threads paper. You are supposed to draw the design then stitch along the line with your domestic sewing machine without thread but I simply used an old needle to punch holes along the design and so far the stencil is holding up. I use a little masking tape to hold down the stencil to keep it in place while I swipe the pounce pad across the stencil. Hope this makes sense...I'm not quite awake yet! :). For free hand guides I use a chalk pencil and water soluble marker.

I am finding that chalk does not stay on as long either so I find myself using the purple air erase marker more and more and mark a little as I can but I've never had a problem with it disappearing...of course if you need to mark something more than an hour or two before you will quilt it then either the blue water soluble or the frixion pen both work well for that. But always test on a fabric first and make sure your customer is ok with you using a temp method to mark their quilt.

Slightly dampen the area with a spritz of water and apply regular chalk through the stencil with a cheap foam brush. Less chalk is used and it works so well.

Make your own stencils with a couple of layers of freezer paper ironed together. Mark your design and stitch over it with your DSM and the biggest unthreaded needle you own. A very durable stencil can be made using this method. Use three layers of freezer paper, a double needle and short stitch length. Then remove the paper between the stitched lines. Remember to leave bridges if your lines cross.

I do what linda r does. Except, instead of spritzing, I just take a damp (rung out) wash cloth and wipe it over the area first. then I put my stencil over the top and use my pounch powder with a little foam brush. It works great! I don't mark it until I'm ready to quilt it right away.

This is going to sound really strange but, I use hairspray. I haven't started longarming yet so I can't speak to how it would work there, but on my domestic, I premark my designs with miracle chalk. Then take any inexpensive hairspray in a can (not a pump) and spray a light layer over the chalk. I find that it helps to adhere the chalk to the fabric without affecting the iron-off properties. It didn't gum up my needle either. Test it before you do it on your actual project though. The hairspray didn't leave any residue on the fabric or on the iron when it was ironed off. Melissa

Thanks all! I'm going to probably try the freezer paper for the borders - brilliant to use a double needle! Hope I can find one for my old cheapie sewing machine - it is the only one I have that will sew without thread in the needle. I was rubbing, not pouncing. I also put my table on the machine, giving me a firm surface to place the stencil - that helped some. Probably try the water spritzing too - I'm just placing these designs and then free motioning into and out of the design. Boy, don't you just love the problem solving aspects of these endeavors?

Guest Linda S

I use Miracle Chalk and the foam brush. Works so much better that way, and the Miracle Chalk comes off with steam when you're all done!

Archived