I would SID the navy blue chain block and just let them pop. I would do McFeathering in the white areas. It will make the embroidery pop and give it a beautiful look. Do a pretty feather in the blue middle border and piano keys in the outside border. Cross hatching in the outside border would look nice as well. I think in the yellow/print 9 patch border I would do squares on point in the yellow swirls in the pansy fabric and cc the corners or put a feathered wreath.

Thank you for your ideas. I have a few hiccups to fix before I put this on the frame. I made the nine patch backwards. so I need to redo those. That's what happens when I don't have a pattern to follow and I'm flying by the seat of my pants. lol

Heidi, I took 2 days of classes with Karen McTavish in March, but what is McFeathering? I was thinking about McTavishing the white area around the appliqué. I hadn't thought about a small feathered wreath in the 9 patch. That might look pretty. Piano keys or bead board in the outer pansy border would work because the fabric is so busy nothing much is going to show.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by LTZQLTR

Heidi, I checked out the link you sent me and was amazed at Jessica's McFeathering. Now that I've seen it, I understand why you thought it would work with my appliqué. Jessica is one very talented young woman. Thanks for sharing.

Yes she is! She is a great teacher too. She is also as nice as her mama!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Debbie,

Jessica (DeLoa's daughter) actually is the one that came up with McFeathering some time ago. Here is an old post with her techniqie of combining McTavishing with feathers. It looks so pretty when quilted and just adds to the beauty of McTavishing. http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=11612&page=1#pid111549

That's amazing! Thanks for sharing, Heidi. It went straight into my favs.

On the borders, I think I would SID the Yellow-Pansy-Yellow borders, and then put a simple vine design running through each yellow border. Then, I'd do piano keys through the dark blue and outer pansy borders.

I always outline the applique' first, so that it stays where it is supposed to be. I use a batt with thicker loft, if I want more puff.

Archived