finished quilt and a question

Hi All. Here are some pics of a raffle quilt that I just finished. I thought it would be fun to attach some before and after shots. Sorry, I can't load all the pics in the same post.

I used wool batting. So fine on top and BL on the bottom. Problem is, it seems just a little stiff. I would like to soften it up a bit. I think people may like it better if it had that soft, comfy feel. Would washing it help or make it worse? A regular wash, or just dip it and block it?

Peggy

post--13461909018355_thumb.jpg

Oh so pretty! I love the wool and have just started using it! Haven't washed mine yet. But I find that all my quilts not matter what batting are always so much softer after they are washed. Maybe try a sample first before you wet or wash your quilt!

Thanks gals. Della, yes I did use a very simple template that I found at JoAnn's. The name of the quilt was 'Daisy Chain'. Thought it seemed appropriate. And, I have to say, I am proud of myself. I decided not to use any rulers. I marked the flowers with blue marker, SID (without a ruler) around the block with the flower, and freehanded the CCs and background fill. I was able to do better than I thought I would.

I do think I will wash it to soften it. I usually prewash my fabrics and I didn't on this. Thanks for your thoughts. You are all so kind.

Peggy

It's certainly beautiful. Quilting is the icing on the cake isn't it. Washing it will no doubt soften it, but you might want to leave it as is since it's a raffle quilt. Sometimes people think that it is "used" if it has been washed. Silly, I know, but I've heard people say that very thing.

Guest Linda S

Oh Peggy! That is sooooo pretty! Yes, washing it should soften it up. Depending on the type of wool you used, some of them have stabilizers in them to make them non-stretchy when you're working with them on the machine (Hobbs is one), but when you wash it, a lot of that stiffener goes away.

You did a super job on that quilt. It's lovely.

Great quilting! That is lovely!

Check the instructions that came with the wool batting. Many recommend gentle machine washing and then drying flat. If you want it to soften, that wash will remove sizing and starch in the fabric and soften the wool a bit. Wool has such a nice drape, even with dense quilting.

You did a beautiful job on this quilt. I love the template you used and the cc's are perfect. As far as washing it, I don't think I would. I have put quilts in the dryer with a damp towel and they have softened up quite nice. I wish I could take part in this raffle. I would love to win this quilt.

Archived