Silk Thread

I am wondering if anyone has used the Kimono Silk Thread from Superior.

I have a quilt that will be heavily quilted, and like their colours-but can't find any pics or much feedback on this product.

It is 100 wt, and has lovely colours.

I am a Glide fan, but want to try some silk and need some different colours that what FilTec's silk comes in.

Any thoughts?

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

I have used it and it runs fine. Use a smaller needle (I think I used a 3.0) and a lightweight thread in the bobbin, like Bottom Line. The needle holes tend to show much more than with a thicker thread, because the thread does not fill the hole made by the needle. If the piece is to be washed or blocked, they will close up nicely around the thread. It is expensive, but looks quite nice. I didn't experience any breaking or shredding. Top tension has to be played with a bit, but was not difficult to balance on my Millenium. A less expensive alternative that produces the same result is Invisifil by Wonderfil, but if you need a wide range of colors, silk will provide that.

Check out Cindy Needham's blog to see the Kimono used well. She likes it for dense fills and also uses BottomLine and So Fine, but more for outlining major motifs and feather work.

She does most of her stitching on a DSM, but it translates well to the longarm.

Archived