every time I quilt a quilt, I learn something

I haven't visited this forum for several months - what a busy summer! We had our children and grandchildren visiting, nieces, nephews, grand nieces and nephews, and 3 of my cousins who still live in my hometown at various times this summer. What a great (but busy) time!!!!

Yesterday I visited my millie, dusted, oiled, etc. Cleaned my shed, including spider webs (ugh).

Today I quilted a nice little quilt -just a panto, but I learned, or at least was reminded, of another lesson. As I was quilting the third row, I heard that popping sound that tells you it is time to change the needle. I hadn't done that when I cleaned/oiled the machine on Saturday. Oh well, I thought. I'll change it at the end of the row. Got to the end of the row and went around to the front of the machine - oh no! I had run out of bobbin thread about halfway across. I wound a new bobbin, changed the needle and kept going. When the quilt was finished I noticed that the holes made by the needle after the bobbin ran out were especially noticeable. I steamed both front and back (love my Eurosteam), rubbed the needle holes, steamed some more, and they pretty much are invisible now.

But, what I learned was:

1. If you haven't quilted for a while, change your needle. A dull needle makes big holes (and I even had some pokies).

2. Remember to check the bobbin thread before starting a new row - better to waste some thread than to run out mid-row.

3. Remember to glance at the thread spooling off the spool from time to time to make sure the thread is still running.

And the most important thing: I really enjoy quilting with my millie. I had forgotten how much, since I haven't had time to quilt since spring. But this makes me realize that I need to somehow block out some time that is JUST FOR QUILTING, no matter how busy I am:-)

Thanks for the tips. It's been at least 3 months since I had a quilt on the Millie. With the kids out of school and all their summer activities and a couple vacations, we have been very busy too. It is time to get the Millie dusted off and serviced. I hope to get a quilt loaded this week. Now with the kids back in school I should have more time for quilting. I have about 15 quilts waiting for me. I will be busy for awhile. LOL

Archived