Baltimore Album Christmas Quilt

Hi All,

I'm just getting started with my longarm business and I have a question. I was just given the opportunity to quilt a Baltimore Album Christmas quilt for my LQS. I consider the type of quilting I did to be Heirloom quilting but please correct me if I'm wrong. It took me 45 hours to quilt this quilt and I used 11 different thread colors. The quilt is 70 x 70".

So for the question, how much would you all charge to quilt a quilt like this for a customer? I just charged the owner of my quilt shop my standard Custom Quilting rate of $.04 si but did so knowing that she would be hanging the quilt in her store and it would be free advertising for me. But, if she were a regular customer I have no idea how much I should have charged. Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help from you experienced long armers.

Here is a link to my blog post with tons of pictures of the quilt

http://needledownquiltstudio.com/?p=213

Thanks again,

Janet

If a quilt took me 45 hours to quilt, I would be charging out 45 hours at my hourly rate.... in that time you could quilt alot of allovers at a better rate of pay. Mind you, wether or not i had a customer willing to pay me 45 hours work then that is another matter.

You did a beautiful job. That is a lot of hours to spend on a quilt and only make .04 psi. Even .05 psi wouldn't be worth 45 hours work. That means you made less than $5 an hour! Custom work is very hard to price. I've decided to charge by the hour for any heirloom type of work and applique almost always falls into that category. I estimate how many hours I think it might take and we agree before hand. I save time by not doing extensive fills and having lots of starts and stops. It is really easy in this business to sell yourself short.

About a year ago I stopped charging by the square inch and started charging strictly by the hour for everything. I try to estimate up front how many hours it will take me and discuss this with my customers. At first it seemed to hurt my business, now I have a waiting list. I do a lot of custom and was just tired of making less that $10 a hour--it is working for me.

Archived