suggestions on obnoxious quilt!!

hey everyone-

Ok, so here is the deal. Believe it or not, this is for the local quilt shop, it is their shop hop quilt. She said I could do whatever. Yes those are chickens on the fabric. My first thought was to do chicken wire over the chickens, but then thought that's a lot of work for something you won't see..... so should i do a meander over all the chickens and ditch around the houses.....

thanks =)

post--13492895165094_thumb.jpg

that chicken fabric is old...i have some of it.

i love chickens and love that fabric, too.

how about a feather meander on the chickens?

and a wood allover on the wood parts?

and ditch & embellish the houses and put swirls or something in the sky part of the house blocks?

Did she say "do whatever" because you are quilting it for free or because she knows it's "obnoxious" and is embarrassed? And obnoxious is a kinder word than I would use!

So, "whatever" could include a big crosshatch on the "chickens on drugs" (sorry--that's what they look like!:P). It would look enough like chickenwire or fencing to "contain" them. Then, depending on your mood and whether you are being paid, treat each barn block like a sampler. Accent the positive--up-and-down siding, shingles on the roof, CC all the blocks, clouds in the sky, etc.

Those floral prints on the roofs crack me up--I think those fabrics were old when I stated quilting 15 years ago!

Linda- obnoxious is a very nice word for it lol, I call it something else in my house =) I am getting paid. The LQS owner thinks its a fun wonderful quilt..... I like your idea of the crosshatch!

Here is a little background on this quilt...... The shop that is in charge of the shop hop this year chose the house patterns. Each shop was assigned a house. The rules were that everyone had to use the same background of the houses (cream dot), and the house itself was to be brown. THEN the quilt block on the house was to be made of BRIGHT fabrics, no country. As you can see, only 2 shops did the bright blocks and everyone else did country colors, including the shop in charge. Then each shop is to come up with their own setting of the quilt. The LQS thought the chicken fabric had all the colors in it so they used that in their setting. When my best friend, who works at the lqs, sent me a picture of it I told her ya know, I can't quilt ugly out! =)

I will post pics when I finish! thank you!!!!!

I'm thinking matches . . . Oh! You meant quilting! I think I'd give it some sort of all-over and be done with it. No sense putting more into the quilting than obviously went into the quilt.

WOW-after reading the posts on this quilt I sure hope the shop owner or customers from that shop are not on this forum to read those comments!!! How do you think the maker of the quilt would feel if she happened upon this post? Or maybe even the others who may like the quilt?....Just saying......

A comment to SewHappy.....I understand what you are saying. I rarely post things that I don't want my customers to read because about a year or two ago a Guild member said she faithfully reads these posts, especially mine. She also shared this info to other Guild members. In the past I have complained about quilts and asked for advise about how to handle the problems in them. I think this is still OK for me to do, but I have to be careful how I word my questions to avoid "ugly" and "worst piecing," etc. Ya never know who is reading this forum!

yup....this is a public forum.

and, like my mom used to say, 'if you can't find a kind way to say something, it probably doesn't need to be said.'

and, i was not being facetious, i do like that chicken fabric - its great in iSpy quilts.

Originally posted by sewhappy

WOW-after reading the posts on this quilt I sure hope the shop owner or customers from that shop are not on this forum to read those comments!!! How do you think the maker of the quilt would feel if she happened upon this post? Or maybe even the others who may like the quilt?....Just saying......

I finished the chicken quilt and took it in today. It was hilarious to see customers reactions. All of us had a good time! I will take pics after they get the binding on. Everyone at the shop are making bets on how many kits we think will sell!

thanks for the help girls. Linda- the crosshatching looked fab over the chickens!!

Archived