not sure why

I am trying to figure out why I get these little birdnest on the back of my quilts. I always pull the bottom thread up to the top to start and finish but always seem to end up with little clusters here and there it isn't always for every start and stop but enought that it is annoying. Is this normal if not what may I be doing wrong?:(

Do you secure the bobbin thread before you start stitching? I actually just figured this out recently. You need to hold light tension on both threads and move the needle down and up once, in the spot where you want to start, or really close to it. One stitch like that is usually enough to secure the bobbin thread. You need to tug gently to test and see if it is secure. When it is secure, you will feel that it doesn't move. If it keeps moving as you tug, then you need to take another stitch.

I used to take several stitches all the time, but recently discovered that if it's placed well, one stitch is all it needs.

Hope that helps. I find Bottom Line is the hardest bobbin thread to secure. It is so small and slippery, it can take more stitches to secure. I use So Fine a lot for the bobbin, and it is easy.

Is is only where you start stitching, or is it intermittently throughout the quilt? Those little bird's nests (I call them gopher guts) are generally spit up onto the quilt when you hit a point or a curve and your bobbin is spinning faster than your needle is sewing. The resulting excess thread ends up in a lump on the back of the quilt. I don't have this problem since I started using the magna-glide and magna quilt bobbins. Some folks complain that they are more expensive, but when you figure how much thread they save you from ripping out, they are worth every penny. I haven't wound one bobbin for my Liberty since trying a magna glide!

I had that happen a few times on the very first quilt that I quilted on my longarm until I discovered that I had loaded the bobbin in the wrong way around in the bobbin case, it wasn't until I used a magnetic bobbin, that I realised that I had loaded the bobbin wrong. Luckily it was very early on in my "quilting career" that I learned this was wrong !!! I had loaded it so the bobbin was turning anti clockwise instead of clockwise... duh !!

Pry out the fingers on the backlash spring a little bit and test each bobbin if you have a Towa gauge before you start. The bird's nests are caused by the bobbin spinning after you stop moving the machine. It can happen as you pause to change directions, or in the point of a design, as Linda S suggests. Prying out the fingers will cause the bobbin to be pressed tighter against the inside of the bobbin assembly and will stop the rotation of the bobbin when you stop stitching. The Magna-glides work on the same principle--the magnet is overcome when you start stitching and when you stop it attaches itself to the back side of the assembly and stops turning. Good luck and I hope you resolve this issue.

Okay guess I needed to give more information. I am using magna glide bobbins and glide thread. It just seems to show up where I start and stop. Perhaps it is what Annie suggested I usually take a few securing stitches but don't always tug on it to see if it is secure. Will check the fingers on the backlash spring and will use the towa gauge. Not really sure on the setting it should be on the towa guage. I have one but not real familiar with it. Read the directions but I usually result back to how it feels when I pull on it.

I did the same thing as Janette early on, because my DSM's bobbin goes in opposite of the longarm's bobbin. I had birds nests everywhere. Its a wonder the machine stitched at all!

Not securing the threads might account for the birds nests at the beginning on the line of stitching, but it doesn't account for the ones at the end of the line of stitching. (I take several tiny stitches at the end of a line of stitching to secure the threads, then pull the bobbin thread to the top and cut it.) That still sounds like backlash.

Maybe you don't have enough tension on your bobbin. With the magnetics, you aren't going to be able to do the drop test. Try increasing the bobbin tension a bit.

Bonnie - yep, if it's where you start and stop, it's that you need some securing stitches. You might also need to adjust your needle up/down screw (can never remember it's number). You might not be getting a full rotation before you move the machine.

Heidi,

It sounds good but I make alot of starts and stops because I don't back track very well yet so starting and stopping at the same place is easy for me but working on my back tracking. I have been doing what you suggested about doing circles over and over and over to pratice.

Thanks for you help.

I did the same thing as Janette early on, because my DSM's bobbin goes in opposite of the longarm's bobbin. I had birds nests everywhere. Its a wonder the machine stitched at all!Not securing the threads might account for the birds nests at the beginning on the line of stitching, but it doesn't account for the ones at the end of the line of stitching. (I take several tiny stitches at the end of a line of stitching to secure the threads, then pull the bobbin thread to the top and cut it.) That still sounds like backlash. Maybe you don't have enough tension on your bobbin. With the magnetics, you aren't going to be able to do the drop test. Try increasing the bobbin tension a bit.

Am glad I wasn't the only one... :blink:

Archived