How to SID seams pressed open?

Next up for me to quilt is the barn quilt from this post:

http://forum.apqs.co...ge__hl__pattern

It should be a lot of fun, but I am wondering what to do about the picket fence. The piecer pressed the seams open between each "plank" and I wonder if it would be okay to SID where the seams are pressed open? Or if there are any other ideas for how to quilt the fence portion, I would be so happy to hear them. Thank you, ladies!

I just finished this one for the same gal. I let her know that I don't feel "qualified" to quilt these kinds of quilts yet but she was so encouraging and doesn't care how they turn out -- she just likes to piece them. It's amazing how much easier it is to quilt when there's no pressure to be perfect. (and I found a photo on flickr of this quilt so I had a little "help" with ideas)

post-5206-0-51942800-1352522427_thumb.jpg

I too would not stitch right in the ditch as you would only be stitching on thread. You could either repress those seams but most of the time that involves how it was assembled and it is impossible or you could just do something in the background behind and between each fence picket that would nail it down and at the same time let the fence pop forward. If the fence is large and still needs something, you could quilt little vines on the fence right over the pickets which would add another element to the design as well as nail down the fabric.

One of the first quilts I pieced had a picket fence, and the longarmer quilted in flowers along the fence -- see photo (I keep getting a note that the file is too big, guess I'll have to learn the new system and post it later).

I have no hesitation to stitch-in-the-ditch on open seams, especially for wallhangings. I think the quilt lies flatter when the seams are pressed open.

After some thought, I ended up stitching 1/8th to 1/4th in from the seam on the picket fence and it created a really neat design that pops a bit. I like how it is turning out, just wish the rest of the quilt would go faster! LOL

Vicki, I love your vine idea! The fence was small so I didn't need to nail it down any more, but if I did, that idea would be perfect!!

Janna, thank you for the compliment on my quilting. I'm happy with how it turned out!

Archived