King size batting big enough?

I've designed a quilt for my stepson and future DIL for their wedding. It measures 118.5 x 118.5, I figure after some dense custom quilting and fabric shrinkage, it should be just about right for a king size bed. Quilters Dream battings in king size are 122 x 122, and the biggest that I'm aware of. What are my options to make it work? I appreciate any tips, I've never done a quilt this large, thanks!

i just did a twin and, by mistake, cut the batting with less than 2 extra inches in width.

it was hobbs 80/20.

when i realized, i laid it on the floor and put the top over it to make sure it was big enough.

it was tight, but i figured i would give it a try.

it worked...i just had to be real careful when advancing the quilt.

I just used a wool batt where the top was 92" and the batting was 96" without any problems. Adjust and tug the batting into place as you advance, being sure to tug it forward as well as to the sides. If possible, measure the batting before you load and you may find that one dimension is longer than stated on the package. If that's the case, load the extra length the long way--from top to bottom as opposed to the extra length horizontally. That way you can easily control the width to make it fit and the extra at the bottom will make you more secure that there will be enough batting at the end.

It will be fine, so long as you start the top of the quilt with just 1/2" extra batting, and tug as mentioned, each time you advance the quilt. I do find Quilters Dream to bunch up, so am always diligent about tugging. Another way to monitor, is to place a pin halfway both in the top and the batting, so you can see how you are doing.

It will be fine, so long as you start the top of the quilt with just 1/2" extra batting, and tug as mentioned, each time you advance the quilt. I do find Quilters Dream to bunch up, so am always diligent about tugging. Another way to monitor, is to place a pin halfway both in the top and the batting, so you can see how you are doing.

Excellent tip - thanks.... I always wonder how much gets sucked up !!!

Archived