How to best remove stitches

Okay team! I just quilted a row of Meandering Feathers on a quilt and I don't like the result, plus had tension issues. I want to unpick the row. What method goes fastest? I use a seam ripper to cut the top thread and pull. Inch by inch, it would take me 20 hours to unpick my work!

You guys are great - I'm sure you have much faster ways! Any advice appreciated.

Skin it. Lift the top and the batting to expose the stitches between the batting and the backer. I use a scalpel-like blade that's very sharp. Pull up on the batting and touch the stitches. Pull and cut. Repeat. Be careful not to nick the backer and keep your hands out of the way. This technique is magic and fast! You can also use an "eyebrow trimmer"--a blade with a plastic guard. They sell them at quilt shops now. As you mentioned, you can use this same technique with a rotary cutter if you're careful.

You can get the pocket scapel, that some quilt shops sell, through a vet's office or vet supply place (http://wedocows.stearnsvetoutlet.com) for 69 cents each or 58 cents a piece by the case of 40. The ones we've used on the farm have a a pocket knife edge ( #20 knife) or a hook edge (#12). They do work magic on frogging - you just need to be real careful as they are beyond sharp.

I do the ripping like Matt sometimes, Himself can out do me by doing that, and I'm using the rotary cutter, or better yet, a single edge razor blade.

I guess a lot of us have differing methods. It is good to be able to choose between them depending on the pattern, or straight line.

Rita

Thank you for all the great information! I'm going to see what I can get in the way of a sharp scalpel seam ripper - or order one. That will take time though. For now, I have a small 18m rotary cutter and I'll use that blade and 'skin' away! I've seen a suggestion to use a bikini shaver and might try that too!

I usually just pull the top thread back towards the stitches til it stops which usually undoes about an inch or just over, then I go to the bottom thread and pull that til it stops, then the top thread then the bottom etc etc, this is the fastest way I have found to do it... and I don't even have to get the seam ripper out unless I have some smaller or tighter stitches very occasionally...

works for me..

Archived