Has anyone ever made angel wings?

I have two of these quilts to do. I finished the first one and delivered it. The sister getting the second quilt does not want feathers on the borders. She thinks they are too much fussy and girlie. She would rather have angel wings but I'm not sure how that would work. Oh yes, the borders all measure 22". The first quilt had 3 different sized borders, 12", 18", and 22".

Can't figure out the picture posting tonight, but pictures are on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AQuiltedMemory

post-3915-0-95400400-1358130416_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-82068200-1358130539_thumb.jpg

Yes, we'll, this is not someone familiar with quilting. I think she wants pairs of angel wings along the border. beats me how that is less fro fro but.....that is the request. I just don't know how you would put multiple wings in the border. But I know if anyone would know, it would be someone on this forum.

Thanks

I neglected to comment on your pretty quilt! Lovely feathers!

Maybe draft a pair of wings that fit the border and use thin paper to copy and stitch through. Another option is to make a stencil of the "bones" of the design and mark that. Then fill in the feather part freehand.

Please bear with me--I run like the wind when customers ask for a design that is vague like this request. They have a vision in their head but can't quite transfer that vision to paper or convey properly what they want--and expect YOU to come up with the perfect design. Ask this customer to find an image that they are happy with and send it to you. Then you can build your designs around something tangible.

Again, bear with me--my opinions are showing! You are the professional and must be ready to demonstrate to your customer IF her vision isn't a good idea. Does she want the wing-tips to touch each other? Will that be enough quilting in the border or will you need filler? If you space the pairs apart, what will you stitch between? Can she afford this deep custom job that entails designing and also perhaps stencils/marking of the whole border? Most times customers think we can pluck designs out of the air. As with other artists, it requires a library of designs and quite a bit of talent to get something right.

I'm editing this to add that the angel wing panto might be perfect if she wants something simple and less expensive. Isn't this a great forum! :P

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. No idea. Are angel wings rounded or pointed.

Maybe the little angels on fabric (in the garden setting) would give an idea..Are the little anges sprites?

or the angel wings like Some of the gals have put on whole cloth, like Heidi M did. It shouldn't be too hard to

draw out to size. She may want them attached to each other at the top or the

bottom, or maybe both.. Like Linda said it sets the juices to working, my juices are a bit low.

Rita

My input doesn't count for much; I still can't grasp the ability to do feathers. But giving the choice between the panto and your picture, I'll take your feathers all day long. I'm wondering if by Angel Wings she meant something where maybe the tips would be at each edge and mirror one another as they grow wider towards the center? I still love your feathers.

James

Archived