Michael made me a new board - need some imput please

I asked Michael to make me a board to use for piano keys/bead board designs in my borders. Many of you have channel locks and doing these is easier for you I think, but don't really know since I don't have channel locks. I always use a ruler on mine and it looks good, but it's time consuming and frankly...boring. And I have the computer, but this just seemed so much faster and easier.

I got the bright idea a few weeks ago of being able to use a CL board. Not only for the border work, but how easy would it be to do a grid in a block?

He had it made and back to me in no time. They look wonderful. I just got back from a trip to Phoenix so it will be a little bit before I can put them to use, but I'm so excited. I know I will find all sorts of uses for this design and as I use it I will post some pics.

I'm looking at two Shadow Box quilts I need to get quilted and this will make that so easy.

post-4696-0-70943100-1359484362_thumb.jpg

I had to think about what you were asking Sandra and to tell you the truth...I'm not sure. I think I will do it from both front and back. I have the pop up thing to work from the front and I have the Bobbin Cam which lets me see exactly where my stylus is in the back. The lines on the boards are one inch apart so I can do 1",2", or whatever size I want. And he set it up so I can move the board over ¼" and make another line in between the 1" lines.

I think it will make some things I do so simple and easy and give me lots of ideas for other things. I just have to play with it.

I have the square board that fits up front that I use. It has straight lines alternating with wavy lines (forget what it is called). It will have similar results, but yet is different.

Oma, thanks for the explanation. I'd love to hear how you end up using it and all the cool details. :) It just might be something I add to my Wish List. :)

I talked to Michael this morning regarding my board. He had spoken to Vickie and she explained there needed to be line ¼" from the first line in order to have a true bead board. I was going to just make my board work, but Michael is trying to make it correct from the start. He asked me how far the lines should be apart for it to still work for the piano keys. I told him I arbitrarily use 2".

I'm going to attach a pic of the second idea and the third idea. Tell me what you think because my brain might be fuzzy today...lol.

The first pic - the lines are 1/4" apart and then 1 inch.

The second pic - Line 1 and 2 are 1/4" apart. Line 1 and 3 are 1" apart. So, the Bead board pattern is 2" apart and you can also do a 1" or 2" piano key, or a 3/4" wide bead board.

I use the bead board design in my borders all the time.  Like Meg, I have a QZ and I use a board that has lines every 1/4 inch from the front of the machine where I have to tape over the lines I don't want to use, plus I have to have it on the diagonal so some lines are too short to make use of the full board.  I like the look of the first board that Michael designed and I would really be interested in that one.  The second board looks like I would still have to tape over the lines I don't want to use to keep myself on track. I hope that makes sense.

When I do my bead board I do a quarter inch and then an inch and I use my QZ.  If Michael were to make a board would it really need to be 18 inches? How about 12 .5 in the height of the channels.  I also like to vary the width when doing the bead board and piano keys. If the board were 12.5 and the channels one quarter inch it would be fast to use across the quilt. WHen I wrote to Michael he said the cost of the boards at 18 inches in height and 1/4 inch would really cost because of the time cutting.  

What do you thank quilter?  Think about it and let Michael know!

The Template is 43 inch long and 13 inches high. the pattern is 12 inch high. Combine sections to make Queen to King sizes.

With the 1inch separations of the lines, you can do Bead board of 1"or 2", or 3".

I can make an 18" by 18" to use on the Circlelord  with 1/4" separations as with the 1/4" crosshatch, but Oma

wants a tool that she does not have to move and will do the complete width. Of course you have to turn the quilt to do the sides. With the 18" template you can do the sides as you as you do the rest of the quilt. Decisions, decisions!

Archived