What do I need to be ready for my Millie

JudyLee

My new millie is coming in one week. What should I have ready for when it gets here?

I will have a quilt sandwich to practice on all ready to go.

I have heard about corsage pins but don't know how long they should be, or even where to buy them. Are they a good idea? I live out in the country, far from any supplies.

Anything else I will need besides basic supplies?

I use flower head pins. You don't need them to start out, but you will need something to pin your fabric layers to your leaders.

The best thing I can think of is REST...cause once you get it, your mind will be racing...everytime you lay down to sleep you are going to be thinking of quilting ;)

Have fun!!

Mary Beth

My Millie was delivered last week and I must say I am obsessed. I used the hat or corsage pins as they are longer, but any long pin will work. I found it helpful to have my laptop by the machine with the DVD playing. (My first quilt I think I pinned it 3 times) lol. The manual will give you a list of tools needed to assemble the machine and I want them for my tool box but not needed immediately. We have to order out or go out for dinner tonight because I forgot what time it was.

Have fun.

Pat

Ha ha, you guys are so funny. I have a week to go before the machine gets here and I can't sleep already, in anticipation. By next week, I'm going to be exhausted.

Yup, we will be eating out all right. I have a feeling my honey will want to try out the machine too, so that leaves nobody but the dog to do the cooking.

I'm going to town tomorrow and will look for corsage pins while I'm there. I'm saving the real buying until I know what I want. Any good books to be looking for?

Judy:D

Pat's suggestion for having the instruction DVD going next to you was great. I didn't have that option, so it was watch a step, go to the basement and do that one. Back up for the next step, etc. Except for the time that I had to watch the step about 3 times before I understood what they were talking about. I'm sure that it was me, not the video! It took me 2 hours to load my first "quilt", but now I can do one in about 30 min.

Enjoy your new toy, I'm sure you're going to love it.

Beth;);)

Linda Taylor's book is okay, and I have that one too. I find that Linda's book has more pictures of her quilts - which I like to look at - but Carol's book seems to have more direction for me. For instance, loading the quilt, directional quilting, trouble shooting, illustrated pictures on tension and charts telling you what to check for specific problems.

That is not to say that Linda's book is not good...I really don't want to get myself in trouble here. I like her book too...I use Carol's book more.

Mary Beth

Just have fun, because all that you will do the first time is new, and you will get excited with every sample of quilting you make! That's what I had the first week, after that the quilts from customers came one by one, but luckely I had some weeks in between to practice with different patterns. Just enjoy!

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

I have had my Millie a month today. I had never longarmed before. I made myself a little toolbox of the common things you might need and I also ordered plenty of bobbins and common and cheap parts to have on hand... I was overprepared.

And strong pins will do. I use flower hgead pins because I could get them cehaply, but if they are not cheap where you live, use regular quilting pins. They work just as well. FH pins bend very easy.

You will have a blast. I have not had one glitch with my machine... not even the tiniest one. I work FT outside the home, but have done several foloing around and learning the machine sandwiches, two throws and a queen sized quilt.

Have two more tops ready to go this weekend.

I would suggest you have a timer, so you stop for rest breaks. Also, a notebook of what youlearn each session you quilt. It'll help you with your progress.

Do you know, I did everything from the manual, and didn't notice the DVD until after the second quilt, but everything still worked out fine. Have fun

Good luck - how exciting for you. We must be the only ones using quilters safety pins to attach our quilts to the zippers. If we have to take a quilt off for some reason, it doesn't have to be handled "gingerly" You don't get poked. Takes a little more time but can have several quilts pinned on zippers and ready to go without worrying about pins falling out or getting poked. The bent quilters safety pins go in much quicker than the straight safety pins. BUT....you will find what works best for you - - - have a great time and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my machine for 4 days now and want to thank you all for your suggestions. I got both of the books mentioned on the list and love them both. The machine is a dream to use, though it seems a little tight. I am blaming that on myself, until I get used to it. It feels great to get those quilt tops out and start finishing them. I have one done, plus a wallhanging, so I am making progress.

Hugs,

Judy:)

Archived