Okay! So I just got an ...........

Accuquilt Studio Cutter! WHO KNEW those dies were so big and heavy?! NOW where do I put them?  I NEED HELP with storage ideas for an already FULL sewing room space! Hubby is looking at me like............WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! I'm sort of having the same thoughts. This better be worth it! :wacko::huh:

How do you store YOUR dies? Still struggling with justifying the cost! :ph34r:

I liked the cabinet AccuQuilt had on their site, but it was well over $1000 with taxes and shipping so I found the same thing on Hayneedle for $799. It's perfect. I'll see if I can post a pic of it. I made a place for the cabinet. You will love the cutter once you start using it.

post-4696-0-23244500-1360981047_thumb.jpg

post-4696-0-71507400-1360981048_thumb.jpg

post-4696-0-23552400-1360981050_thumb.jpg

Darlene: 

I bought a metal kitchen cart from IKEA (on casters).  I keep the Studio cutter on top and use the 2 shelves below for dies stored in the white laminate storage boxes available on the Accuquilt website.  Recently I bought a couple of the newer wire storage pieces (also on the Accuquilt website) which can sit on a table or hang on the wall.  They are quite sturdy and great for smaller dies including the alphabet dies.  If you add to your die collection slowly, you won't regret the purchase.  It's hard to know how you're going to use them at first but I found the strip cutters & applique shapes very useful.  Some of the larger squares must work well for stores making up kits...for me they're just as easy to cut w/a rotary cutter.  Also, I'm sure you know this already, sign up for the emails and always buy the dies when they're on sale.  Have fun!   Nancy in Tucson

Darlene, 

Where did you get your studio cutter from? I've been looking at my distributor but all they have are the smaller ones. 

Thanks!

Hi Angela,

I bought it from Accuquilt online. You can't buy the Studio anywhere else. There are lots of distributors for the Go cutter, but the Studio is exclusive to Accuquilt.com. What sort of pushed me over the edge was the sale they had on about 3 weeks ago. It was on for $410. Right now it's on sale for $449. I bought some dies at the same time, but have since ordered a few for the GO cutter on E-Bay. Another thing that pushed me over the edge was the fact that you can buy the adapter from Accuquilt and use GO dies in the Studio cutter. The GO dies are a LOT cheaper, and even cheaper on Amazon.com and E-Bay.

Thanks everyone for your storage ideas. LOVE the cabinet that Oma has, but I don't have space for it AND the cost is a bit much to get it into Canada. Right now, I'm purging so I have some space for the dies. I have 2 bookcases (Ikea) and 1 large Ikea storage unit with square cubbies. I have WAY too many books, so will be sorting through those and getting rid of enough to make room for the dies. I can also do a good clean out of the storage under my cutting table. It's just inexpensive base kitchen cabinets put back to back with batting and fabric wrapped plywood on top. I know I"ll find a few surprise when I haul everything out of there!

Yesterday my neighbor came over while her hubby helped my hubby hang a quilt in the stairwell; finally! I took her into my sewing room and showed her the Studio Cutter. Her eyes got as big as saucers and I could see the drool forming at the corners of her mouth. LOL  I made her promise not to tell anyone else I had it, as I know what will happen. I'll be spending my days cutting fabric for other people. I hadn't even tried the cutter out yet, so while she was here, I dug out some 30s fabrics that I wasn't fond of and cut them up using the Dresden plate die. WOW! I pushed the limits and did 12 layers of fabric. It worked, but I won't do more than 10 in the future. So...........12 layers x 5 shapes on the die, and in about 30 seconds, we had 60 Dresden plate pieces. Another layer of 10 gave us 50, and so on and so on. I sent her home with enough cuts to make a large quilt, in just a few minutes! I think I'm in love! LOL

Oh Darlene...You are SOOOOOO hooked now. When I got mine I cut out one quilt and decided I'd died and gone to heaven. I had been dealing with some spine problems and a torn rotator cuff on my dominant hand so standing and cutting out quilts became such a chore for me that I just never wanted to do it. The Studio Cutter changed all that. It's worth it's weight in gold.

I looked at the GO cutter and knew it would never please me, but ohhhhh the Studio Cutter presented all sorts of possibilities. It's even better now that I can use the adaptor to utilize GO dies. There were some dies I knew I would only use a few times and the GO dies are a lot cheaper.

Best of all...no more templates! The cut out fabric pieces are uniform and perfect so they sew together like a dream. Any of you who have cut out the Drunkard's Path quilt would just faint if you saw me cut out one with my cutter. It would take me less than 10 minutes and the pieces would be perfect with even the little "alignment notch" on them. I've had several "custom" dies made for me of patterns I really liked and knew I would make several of. The Studio Cutter made quilting fun for me again. I know I sound like a commercial, but I feel just that strongly about it.

Oma, do you remember what the model number is of your stand that you have your cutter on? I looked at the Hayneedle site but didn't see anything that looked similar, but I might have missed it. I have my studio on a small rectangular table but it has no storage and I need storage desperately.

Sue, it's called a Kangaroo Wombat Embroidery Cabinet. If you Google it you will find all sorts of places that carry it then look for the cheapest one. I got a deal from Hayneedle for $799 with NO shipping and NO taxes. They were so good about it. I had it in about a week. I had to put it together, but it wasn't hard with hubby's help. My item number was ARW038. It's a wonderful cabinet. I keep the sides pulled out because I have the room to do so, but it has wheels that roll very easily so one could pull it out to extend it then put the sides back down and roll it back. You don't really need the sides out to use the cutter. It really is a nice cabinet and the drawers roll in and out very easy and nice.

I bought the wire racks, but where on earth do you sit them? I put them on the floor and they just took up space. I put them on a shelf and it wasn't very effective so I decided to use the racks for my CL boards instead.

angela...the size of the dies can be much larger for the studio also. i have dies with (2) 10-1/2" squares, (2) 10" squares and multiple 5" squares. I cut scrap large pieces of fabric into large squares and use them to back quilts.

the studio cutter also has a lifetime warranty and is a more professional cutter.   

I bought the Go Cutter first then found it difficult {hard in my wrists} to turn, plus it was difficult to keep the Go Cutter from moving as I was cutting so I gave up using it. THen my GF got the bigger cutter, all it took was one time using it. I went home an ordered me one plus all of the strip dies. Now I add to my collection of dies when they are on sale or daily deals.

I make lots of quilts and can do most of the cutting using my big cutter.

Terry

Archived