NQA Judge unethical? Has anyone heard?

Having just chaired the judging committee for our guilds first juried show I'm not surprised by what I'm reading.  However, above the judges authority is the chair person.  Although the judge held a quilt for consideration for a ribbon I stopped the judging spoke with the judge and told her I was pulling the quilt because it was not in the proper category. 

When we got to the art group I also disqualified a quilt because it was a commercial pattern.  So no matter what the judge does your guild is the final authority in my opinion. 

Our judge was wonderful and chose a whole array of styles as winners and appeared to be unbiased in her decisions.  

Valerie I may be alone in my opinion but I think this is the perfect venue to discuss issues like this.  To me this post was thought provoking and perfectly in line for this type of forum.  I haven't found anybody's remarks to be nasty or rude on this post so I'll just assume it was another forum.  I haven't heard anything else about this but I don't follow a lot of other forums.  Ethical issues are always so subjective and I find there are always very different views about what is considered ethical behavior and what isn't.  I can tell you that if I had a quilt in the show and found out the daughter of the winner was the judge and awarded her mother the top prize for Machine Quilting I would find that suspicious.  Judging is subjective and you never know what the judge will say about your quilt.  I've entered shows and had my quilts not place in one show but come in best of show in another.  I'm not at all surprised by that.  I enter shows to get feedback and to improve my skills and of course to share my ideas and interpretation.  I've had one judge tell me that I didn't have enough contrast and another tell me that I had too much contrast on the same quilt.  You just have to take those comments and determine for yourself what you think.  

It seems as of late people on the forum are being more sensitive than it used to be and I'd love to come here and share and read and learn. I'm sure many don't agree with me but that is what life is about.  I don't personally think it has to turn negative but often it seems that it does.  

Heidi - I respect your opinion, but kindly, disagree.  It's not the subject that I am opposed to - it's the high school gossip fashion that I witnessed it being discussed.  These are real people who's businesses and livelihoods are at stake, and in my opinion it's being blown out of proportion.  I saw the quilt in question and I read the note attached to it.  In all honesty, it sounds like a fluke to me.

I appreciate that the dynamic of this group may have changed in your eyes, but when you have an open forum like this people are going to have disagreements and say things that others don't like.  That's the beauty of living in a free country - we don't have to sit back and endure it, we can share our opposing feelings and discuss why. 

Valarie I wasn't saying anybody should sit back and endure anything at all, in fact I welcome everybody's responses.  There are always two sides to a story.  My point was that I don't think discussing things like this should be banned or not discussed.  We can certainly agree to disagree on this and I'm just fine with that.  I don't want to see this post digress like the last several that have gone on in the past 2 weeks or so.  It is counter productive and people just get their feelings hurt go away and stop sharing.  Just because we don't agree doesn't mean that anybody should be made to feel bad or told that they shouldn't post things of this nature.  My view is post your opinion, post your topics but always be considerate of others.  I have missed LinneaMarie's posts and don't want her to go away.        

Heidi - on that note I completely agree with you.  :)  I did mention in my original post that I truly don't think it was her intention.  The discussion that truly made me uncomfortable wasn't on this forum - and ironically I posted my thoughts there and they either never made to the list or were deleted.  I don't believe in cencorship either.  What I do oppose is shaming and name calling...especially when not knowing the full scope of the situation.

In any case it's been days since this was posted, and I personally am over it!  LOL*   I'm too busy working on quilts to worry too much about a thread on the internet!  Hahaha!

And my guess is - If the quilt was worthy of winning, perhaps her daughter should have been disqualified as a judge and if it won there would not be this discussion. 

Personally, I come to this site to see quilts being displayed and to read opinions, get much needed help and all of the wonderful sharing that happens here.   Some of these opinions are not the same as mine, but gives me something to think about and occasionallly I change my opinion. 

Keep sharing, ladies; whatever your opinion!!!

Marilyn

• 2 months later...

I just saw this post, but the same thing happens at the local fairs quite often around here.  The piecer and/or the quilter is the judge.  The same lady wins our local county fair year after year.  She pieces and the other one quilts, then the piecer wins.  That's why I quit entering, as did my local customer.

Archived