Top tension question

Hi-

I do not have an APQS machine, but I am still going to ask my question anyways. When using my machine, I rarely make it through a twin sized quilt without at least ONE thread break on the top..is that normal?? I ask because I am wondering if my top tension is too tight?? What should it feel like when pulling on the top thread??

Ironically, even with the random breaks, the tension is BEAUTIFUL on top and bottom..nice, even stitches with knot in the middle..no pokies on curves etc.

Curious..if anyone has any videos..shoot me in that direction!! JC

You know what, I'm actually really interested in the answer to this too.  I do have an APQS, an older one, but I'm pretty new to it.   I've been tightening my bobbin up just like I would in my sewing machine.  The more I watch and read the more I realize that long arms seem to do better with a looser bobbin...and looser top in turn.

Looking forward to what you learn!

I get breakage if I change directions too fast or occassionally on thick seams. I find if I get going too fast is when I have breaks. I run as loose as you can and still get good stitches. I used to run it too tight of tension top and bottom.

Shirley

Sometimes it may be that your thread is older and is more brittle, or just that the air is dry since it is winter...try spritzing the air around your spool of thread and using some (I'm sorry I am braindead after a very busy day) thread lube, is it called sewer's aid?

If you only get one thread break per quilt, I'd say you are doing very well.  You can't control all factors on a quilt..thick seams...a thin place in the thread...whatever.  If you have good tension otherwise, I'd say its just the nature of longarm quilting.

I'd say your thread shouldn't be breaking.  Mine only broke when I was new and not really sure what to do.  I rarely have any thread breaks now.  When I do, it's because the needle needs changed etc.  When doing a pantograph I need to go slow in SR mode.

My thread was breaking all the time when I first got my machine.  I bought a new upper tension dial and just replaced the outside parts and have never had another break.  Before it seemed as if nothing I tweaked mattered.  I could go on for hours and still have the same issue.  Now, my machine functions like a brand new one!  I never, never have a thread break.  It just makes me smile.  So, I am hoping you find that perfect answer to your puzzle.

Archived