My Professional Tote

Oops, I didn't realize that photo uploaded! It seems I can't upload anymore? That photo is the tote I finished today after so many mistakes. It's the one with Australian prints I purchased at a quilt show last year. I loved the fabric but never used it and thought it would look so pretty in a bag. It's a bright yellow and orange and red. The Australian fabrics are so beautiful but are not quite as wide as our American ones it seems.

I'm on the lookout for your review of the smaller tote!

Thank you, Marci! I think your mom will love all the pockets in this bag. I'm sure yours will turn out pretty, too!

I know you didn't ask, but I was clueless on the zippers so I thought I'd mention that the yellow Australian print bag I made with zippers from Joanns because I was too impatient to wait for a zipper order, but the black bag that I made first was with zippers I bought from Zipit on etsy. The wait for those zippers was well worth it and I highly suggest those nicer, bigger YKK zippers that they sell. I don't at all like the ones I got from Joann's as they are flimsy, don't zip as nicely, and I think will break faster (with the exception of the big Coat's sports zipper I used, which was nice but it was a separating one).

From Zipit I bought the long pull 4.5 zippers in 18 inch (to match the outside bag fabric), 14 inch for the big middle pocket inside the bag to match the bag lining, and a 7 inch to match the outside bag. It was $10.30 for two sets, with shipping, and they set up a special order in sizes and colors for me. 

I bought a separating 16 inch zipper from Zipperstop on etsy for the black bag but am not sure I like the separating one because it is hard to "put back together" when you want to zip up the purse. I've yet to make a bag with the 18 inch nonseparating one but that's next on the list.

Have fun with your bag making! If you need any help, feel free to ask. I'm sure you are a better seamstress than I with all your background and you probably won't have the troubles I did in understanding the pattern tho!  :)

Ok, I cut mine out.  I ironed the interfacing to the contrast fabric.  I sewed on one pocket and one handle and it has taken all darned day!  Can anyone say labor intensive????  It is gonna be cute but OMGosh at the work!!!  Of course I may just be dumb as a stick but OMG!!!!!  I will post pictures in a month or two when I finally get it done! :huh: 

Yes! The start-up is a lot of work....you're nearly shot by the time you get all the cutting & marking done. That said, once that stuff is done, the rest of it does seem to go easier. 

Mine's all cut out, then I realized that the "stiff stuff" I had gotten wasn't fusible..oye. I ended up machine quilting the fabric and the stiff stuff together and also serged several pieces. and, decided to make some design alterations per the website, doing the alternative zipper facing she has on the website, adding some trim to the straps, etc. and, my poor girlfriend, who was supposed to be working on it with me, gave up on me and finished hers by herself! lol! 

So, yeah, mine's in the "waiting for a blast of motivation" pile! 

Bonnie, thanks for the Etsy zipper links. I'm going to check them out to supplement the brass zippers I have.  You can also sew a nice matching tab over the end of your separating zipper to keep it from separating.  Or you could hand sew over the zipper teeth at the end with clear or matching thread to do the same.

Shelia, I've seen soft and stable but I prefer to use cotton/poly batting or the iron-on 987F (the ironing in place keeps it in place when washed).  My fear is that being I don't pre-wash my bag fabrics, and the soft and stable is 2 outer layers with a foam inner layer of all poly, that once washed and dried the inner foam layer will not lay smoothly due to my outer cotton fabric tightening up.  (I will wash my bags in cool and hang to dry and the cotton fabric still shrinks a bit. I don't mind this because the bag still keeps its nice lines that way.)  If you decide to try it, do let us know how it works out, ok?

Marci I haven't purchased the mini tote yet so I'm. Not sure what those pieces are. I wonder if Oma or Kristina know? My guess would be an inside pocket but not sure which one. The professional tote didnt use batting anywhere so I'm not really sure. I'm sorry I'mof no help. Trying to type from my phone!

Marci, the pattern says it's for the free standing zipper pocket.  I just got my mini professional tote pattern and haven't had a chance to read through it.  It appears to be constructed about the same as the large tote.  They do the handles different although I may not follow that and the sides have elastic instead of ties which I had thought of doing.  It also has a zipper on the inside lining which I kind of like too.  I'm going to make one as soon as I start feeling a little better and also catch up on some of the projects I have lingering around here. Be sure to post pics of yours.  Ask questions and keep us up to date on your progress.  It helps motivate. 

Marci, you might want to check out this page at Creative Thimble. http://thecreativethimble.com/new-pattern-announcement/

It looks like the 13 x 11 inch pieces are for the inside of the zipper pocket (do a search on that page for "quilted lining" and it is 12 inches (finished), which might suggest it is those 13 x 11 inch pieces you asked about). I think somewhere else in the pattern there are going to be two more similar size fabric pieces, too, for the outer part of the zipper pocket (it takes 4 pieces of fabric to make in the Professional Tote size).

Oma, I love "it helps to motivate."  I've been officially motivated to buy the pattern! She is offering free D rings until June 23rd.

I haven't made this tote yet, but this is what the instructions say: "Sandwich one 11" x 13" batting between one Pocket Piece without interfacing and one 11" x 13" piece of scrap fabric (scrap fabric will not be seen anywhere, it is hidden between the two pocket pieces).  Both sides of the fabric will have their right sides facing out.  Grid quilt or free motion quit the fabrics together.  This will provide a padded lining for the pocket.  Repeat the previous step for the second piece of the Zippered Pocket.  Trim the quilted piece down to the pocket piece size, 12' W x 9½" H."

I think it is the inside of the freestanding zipper pocket so you will see it if you have that part unzipped.  What I have learned with her patterns is that you have to just go down the pattern line by line and follow explicitly.  I make notes to myself and highlight parts.  Sometimes I have to reread parts a few times until it makes sense to me. 

I'm looking forward to making this one even though I know it is labor intensive. 

Sounds good, thanks Bonnie and Oma.  I was trying to figure out what fabrics to use and to see if I had enough of what I wanted to use for a second one.  If it doesn't show, it doesn't much matter then!  I'll be starting this weekend so I will try to take pics as I go for my future reference and of the final. It looks fun!

• 6 months later...

I finally got the professional tote made and also made a mini version. I put soft and stable in both of them and really like it. I put it in the outside pieces and the inner zipper pocket. I did however end up taking the mini version apart and took the middle zipper pocket out of the lining. I don't always want to take my ipad with me everywhere. If I had a ipad mini or a smaller tablet I probably would but the ipad 2 I have is a little much to always take with me. Also the mini version of the bag is more like a purse. The regular version is a good size tote and I really like it too. I also left the middle zipper pocket out but made it as a separate pocket for my ipad and just put it in the tote. I love both these bags and will be making more of them especially the large one. As all the others mentioned, they are quite labor intensive but if you follow the clearly written instructions they are not hard. If someone could give me clearly written detailed instructions here for posting a photo I will post photos of mine. Using a sewing machine I can do......a computer...not so much. Lol.

Archived