I must be on a roll...finished swap blocks and made a purse

Getting the swap blocks finished and mailed off was a major accomplishment.  I could have probably thought that one out a little better.  I machine embroidered them.  I thought only nine color changes that should be easy enough. Yeah, well until I decided to add two appliqued pieces to it.  I had to sit there and watch them like a hawk when they were sewing out, but I'm happy with them and they are now flying off to TN.  Yay!

Then I decided to tackle my new Mini Professional Tote.  Yup...it's made like that big Professional Tote bag that I made before (several times) except it is half the size.  It really is a purse.  This one was a bear to make too, but dang...it's so cute.  There are a few things I may change on the next one (there probably will be a next one).  I really, really like it so far. 

I signed up for a quilt class with my friend called Prickly Pears.  I think I need to start gathering all my supplies and get them ready for Saturday.  She is cutting hers all out before hand and really pushed for me to do mine at the same time, but I refused this time.  I told her I paid to take the class so I think I'll let the instructor tell me how to do what I need to do instead of me figuring it out ahead of time.  I'm paying for the expertise instructions not the sewing time.

Maybe I'll work on my Barn Chicks.  Heaven forbid I do any house work...lol.  I could go to the store though because my husband told me we were out of eggs three days ago so I've spent the last three mornings showing him how creative I am at making breakfast without eggs...lol...and without eating out.

I should add the site to get the pattern.  http://thecreativethimble.com/shop/mini-professional-tote/

UPDATE:  Look farther down to see a pic of the two types of bags side by side. 

Shelia, it's like comparing apples and oranges.  The larger one is actually a "tote" and is good for traveling or carrying a lot of stuff.  The smaller one is a "purse" and it works great as a purse.

post-4696-0-17982700-1374798580_thumb.jpg

Oma, wow, girl, you have been busy! I hope this means you are on your way to getting better. I can't wait to see your blocks, and all the others, too. This is sure to be a cute quilt, certainly a labor intensive one! I love your mini tote purse. It is only suiting that you are our guide and mentor for this pattern!! I'm going to get my pattern out today and study it -- no cutting until my hand recovers though but I can type one day after the surgery so that means it shouldn't be long before I have a rotary cutter in hand  :D

Bonnie,  I am feeling better.  Slowly, but surely.  One of the major problems was my diabetes.  I've always controlled it with my diet.  I've never had a problem with it until I got so sick and I didn't connect the dots and realize it was also part of the problem until I had my lab work done.  Now I'm back on oral meds for it until my body straightens out  then I'll control it with my diet again.  It feels good to even want to do things again, much less actually doing them. 

I know your recovery will go quickly.  Just remember to take it easy.  No duck (duct) taping the rotary cutter to your hand...lol.

The Mini Tote pattern is a different pattern than the regular tote.  Much smaller, but similar in construction.  It is designed by the same woman.  She has you iron the interfacing onto the fabric first then cut out the pieces.  I cut the pieces (main fabric, contrast fabric and lining) out of freezer paper then ironed the freezer paper pattern pieces onto the fabric/interfacing pieces.  That made is so much easier.  Basically I made a paper pattern for myself.  That will make it so much easier with the next purse.  Yeah, I like it that much.  I made my handles like I did with the big tote, not like she says on this one.  I really like the elastic in the side pockets more than the cords.  One thing I will change with the next purse is the free standing zippered pocket inside.  She has you make a quilted lining for it.  Had I paid attention I would have either bought quilted fabric for that or just added some extra padding or even thrown some fabric on the LA and quilted it.  Silly me I did it on my DSM.  There are two set-in zippers with lined pockets.  Her technique makes those so easy.  Then there is the one in the free standing pocket which as you know is easy and she shows a little different way of putting the one in the top of the bag and I like it so much more.  I don't know why it just clicked with me, but it did and I like the way it looks.   If you like your big tote at all then you are going to love this purse.

Archived