Paying for machine to be shipped

I have found a Millie in another state and have shipping scheduled through U-Ship this Saturday. The lovely lady selling me the machine does not have Pay Pal. What is the most secure, safest way to send payment to the buyer yet ensure I get the machine? How have some of you handled this? I trust the seller but my husband is uneasy about me wiring the funds without the machine. I still say that quilters are the most trustworthy people. I just want my hubby comfortable with the transaction

I've heard of a service where the money is placed in an escrow account and released when all parties are satisfied. For the life of me, can't remember any other details. Maybe someone here will. And anyone can receive money by paypal - all that is needed is an email address, at least that is my understanding of how paypal works. 

Debbie

There is no absolutely safe way except handing over actual real cash!  ;)

Second best would be an escrow account set up by the buyers bank. Drawback--there are fees.

Then PayPal--which is an escrow-type entity. They accept the payment, but unfortunately do not hold it. The seller can remove the payment and close the account immediately upon receipt. PayPal also has some fees involved.

Another solution might be to see if there is an APQS dealer near the seller who could be a go-between. They can look over the machine--I would offer them compensation for travel time, expenses, and expertise. Split the cost with the seller. That may ease your mind that the shipper has the machine on the truck and the dealer can hand over a cashiers check as the truck leaves with the cargo.

Some shippers will do the same--hand over a check from the buyer after the product is loaded. 

Good luck and enjoy your new machine!

Tyra:  When I bought Zelda, I just mailed the seller a check.  Now the check was only for $2000, but I trusted the seller-people selling on this forum (if that where your bought it) are not out to rip you off, they just want to move their machine- and everything went fine.  Maybe you can send half now, and half after the machine arrives and meets your approval.  As I recall, it was a certified check.  Jim

There is always the chance there will be a problem.

No matter what you are doing.

I vaguely remember reading about a seller who didn't get the payment as promised.

That was a while ago, when I was new to the forum.

I don't think I ever read about a buyer being ripped off.

Most of the transactions go off without a hitch.

If you are buying one of Dave & Deloas machines, don't fret.

They're good honest folks.

Tyra:  I haven't wired funds to anyone on the forum, but I did buy a commercial embroidery machine about 18 months ago, and wired the seller (off E-Bay) the money.  Got the account info from the seller, and had my bank wire the money.  That worked fine.  I think there was a small fee to have the bank do it.  Good luck.  Jim

The seller and I decided to move the transport date to a weekday. That way I can wire funds on the same day as transport. That alleviated a lot of anxiety for both of us. I do feel like I have made a friend with the seller. We have literally exchanged over 30 emails over the past 2 weeks. Can't believe my " new to me" Millie will be here in the next week or so!!

Archived