polyester

My mom used to make everything out of the cheapest polyester known to woman. She didn't believe in spending money on fabric. She made us each a quilt using multi-colored poly squares and thick, fur-like green stuff. I had it for years, then got rid of it for some reason without thinking. I think that was when I was separating the sheep from the goats in one of my moves, and decided to keep only quality stuff. I was young...... My sister still has hers, and Mom even made some for her kids. I've never liked them, as I'm so darn picky. I swore I'd never put polyester in my quilts or on my kids or under my cats. How can anybody quilt with polyester? It seems like an oxymoron to me: polyester quilts.... ya know, like jumbo shrimp. :D But I'm thinking probably she just used a cotton/poly blend, huh? Please tell me she used cotton/poly and not that scary 100% poly stuff. ;) Oh dear, does this make me a fabric bigot or a fabric snob?

DebLou,

Hopefully it is a poly/cotton blend. If it is more poly than cotton, then you might want to consider using a poly batting. Cotton batt will shrink, that's what gives it that cool wrinkled soft texture and antique look. Poly batt will not shrink that much. But if your client mixed pure cotton with poly fabric in the quilt, then it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another. It won't matter. :o

Patch, you are a fabric snob. Welcome to the club. We're having jackets made. :P :P :P

I have actually been useing polyester and other fabrics in my art quilts to add shine and texture............think satins, and fabrics with sheen and shine and also brocades and such. I have had no difficulty with quilting them on my domestic or longarm. Just use a new sharp needle and go for it.

When I began quilting in 1984 I did it all by hand, used only 100% cotton and swore that was the only way I would ever do it................................boy is it fun to find new rules to break!

Hopefully your wrong but if it is the dreaded poly, make sure you use thin poly. I did a quilt for my Mother and if was heavy when done. Quilting turned out great but boy was I glad to get it off my frame. It was pull in directions of quilting if it is thick. Especially at intersections. And will hangup at seams. I did not want to do quilting but it was from my great Aunt who died in the early 80's. She was 93 yrs old. So I knew it was special to her. No more of poly for me to quilt. The 60's was great but boy was that a heavy, sweaty era of fabric. Nita

I would use a thin Cotton/Poly batt. That way, it won't shrink like a 100% cotton batt would and no matter what the poly content of the fabric is, you should be good to go.

And just a little story about polyester quilts - I've always called it bullet proof Polyester :o and even in the 60's & 70's when everything was made out of it, I didn't like it. But when my Mom was sick and trying to separate her things between my sister and myself, she asked if I wanted her King Size 100% tied Polyester quilt (weighs 20 lbs at least) that my aunt had made and I said YES. Eventhough I won't wear it, and it may never be on my bed, I will cherish this one. My Aunt was a wonderful lady and it is a good memory everytime I look at it. I keep it in my guest room on a quilt rack. I don't think that I would call myself a fabric snob because I've even made a memory quilt for a new widow out of her husbands shirts which included flannel, cotton, and cotton/poly blends and I think it turned out wonderful. She cherishes it and that is all that counts. So I guess, I'm one who would consider all types of fabrics for quilts. But then I'm not very traditional in other aspects of my life either.:D LOL

I want a fabric snob jacket too please. On the other hand, I'm with Pat on the poly quilt from the 70's. My grandmother made my two brothers and I each a quilt from leftover fabric of the time. My parents had bought a house that the first 4 room were built in 1865, and as the house expanded, the carpentry skills went dramatically downhill. The only heat was an oil burning stove the heated about 1 foot in all directions. No wonder the dogs got to sleep on the bed with us. We needed all the warmth we could get! As we remodeled the entire thing, there was a winter that we all had pneumonia. That's about the time that Grandma made our quilts for us. Poly squares on the front, flannel backing and tied. I'm sorry grandma, but my (literally) glow in the dark skirt and matching vest fabric that ended up in my quilt didn't help it. It's ugly, it's heavy, but I love it so much, and will never get rid of it. Besides, someday, it's going to win me a big prize for the "quilt that won't die."

Beth

The last double knitt I had I put out in my garden under the large rocks to block the grass growth.... guess what? 10 yrs later or more.....its still there...........I bet I could wash it and it would all still be in one piece.

Did you ever burn a piece? nasty....... dont burn it melts....

gross...... cant even imagine that sticking to human skin.....

With that said..... I have a poly quilt here.....some one donated to me to practie on...... its quilted but no one wants it.........lol........I guess I need to send it to the senior center..

Maybe some one needs a lap robe in the car...

:D :D Love, love, love all your comments!!

DebLou:

You didn't say if the fabric is polyester double knit or just plain (thin) polyester like a dress or blouse would be made of.

Either way, I recommend polyester batting, and here is why:

1. thin polyester or poly-cotton blend fabrics don't stretch at all (Unlike cotton), so it is hard to get the pieces to fit together and there may be puckers in the quilt top. Using a poly batting will help hide those puckers and you can "quilt out" the puckers better with a loftier batting.

2. if the quilt top is poly double-knit, which is quite stretchy, the loftier poly batting is also easier to deal with. I have quilted 2 poly double knit tops, and I learned to load the quilt upsidedown -- meaning put the top on first, then batting, then the backing (Non-stretchy). Quilt from the backing side with a meander or panto. This way, the bulky seams won't hang up as bad, and will be concealed in the loftier poly batting.

-Ann

When we moved back to Virginia in the house my husband was raised in, we found a trunk full of the old (heavy) type poly that was used in suits and pants back in the 60's. My husband and I cut this up and made pinwheel blocks. It was far too heavy and thick to put on a machine so we hand tied it. We also put a very thick poly batting in the center. My sister in law says it's the ugliest quilt she ever saw. This quilt is so warm that you really can't sleep under it. Great in the ice and snow storms though. This quilt will be around long after I go. :P

Good news to all of you fabric snobs. I just talked to my client again and asked her the big question - She's pretty sure it poly/cotton blend!! Whew!

Loved all your stories, comments and helpful hints. So, is it the polyester material or that plus the heavier batting that makes it so much heavier? My husband has a quilt of his aunts that is polyester, double knit, you name it, and it is so heavy you feel like you been tied down at night. But it sure is warm. I always wondered if it was stuffed with another old quilt since it was so heavy.

Thanks again for coming to my rescue.

DebLou

If you have to mark the poly blend fabric don't use Miracle Chalk. It is difficult to get out of poly blend.

I need to be in the fabric snobbery club, too. Once I reached the "power surge" years I stopped wearing polyester. Because it doesn't breathe, I'm always too hot. I try to discourage polyester battings on bed quilts, but use it on wall quilts. Of course, if a customer insists on the quilt being fluffy I'll use polyester batting. But I warn them that it may be too warm.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City, OK

I prefer cotton batting for bed quilts. I use Quilter's Dream unless the customer brings their own batting. I've done quilts with some polyester in them and used a cotton batting without any problem. Now if the whole quilt was polyester, then you might as well use a polyester batting. The quilt would be hot anyway!

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City, OK

www.myheartlandquilts.com

Archived