Need help with this

Okay, here is what I have done so far (nothing is stitched yet, just hung together)

I love the way it looks right now as an octagon.  I think it would be an awesome wall hanging or table cloth, but I know most shows want a square or rectangle.

Here is the question.   Should I just make black corner triangles and call it done, or should I go ahead and make the compass half corners.  I can continue the spiral around again with the mariners compass halves, but I'm not sure if they would detract from the color pattern. 

I love the New York Beauty blocks and I made and remade them until almost all my points are pointy, pointy.http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtconcessions/10144052546/

I don't think you need to square it out, when we were at the Des Moines show last week they weren't all square quilts.  It kind of feels like the squaring out would take away from  the wow factor that you have going,  BTW, what would you do for binding?  If you don't square it out, you might need to do more of a facing binding so the colors remain the focus at the edges.

I really like what you have done, it is great.

Madelyn, I haven't even thought to binding yet.  I think I would have to try to match the colors which will involve lots of measuring and figuring.  Or I can use black or white. The backing will be one or the other because I intend to match thread color to fabric color and have a colored wholecloth look on the back..... if that makes sense.

I haven't checked AQS or MQX, but IQF says any quilt that is not square or rectangular must have the top half securely stitched to a square of black fabric with the hanging sleeve attached to the black fabric.   That's the only thing that is making me think it has to be square or rectangle.

In that case, I would go with the black to square it out.  Most show booths are black and that can make the color pop out without really showing the black. 

If you choose not to square it out, you could also do a knife edge finish where you fold in the edges of the top and the backing and hand stitching them closed.  (have the backing folded over the batting so there are not any fibers escaping.

I like it as it is.  I am thinking the quilt shows just want ease of hanging and that is why they are asking you to attach it to black (which is usually their curtain that quilts are hung on).  I wouldn't do anything permanent.  With your attaching black to the to and then hanging it on their black curtain, it is going to make it look as if it is floating. 

Archived