Meeting at the Houston quilt show

I am leaving in the morning and driving to Houston for the quilt show.  Who else is going?  I hope we can get together to meet and introduce ourselves to each other.  One of the most enjoyable things that I have done as I have attended shows over the past few years is to meet some of the wonderful people on this forum. 

We could meet Thursday or Friday afternoon, around 2 or 3 PM, either at the APQS booth or the entrance to the lunch hall.  We could identify ourselves with a red ribbon on our name tags.  Anyone going to Houston, what do you all think?  I hope to see you there!  :)  :D

I will be there Wed. Night for Preveiw then again Friday about 1pm/Sat all day/Sunday. Friday 3PM would be best for me. I sure would love to met you all.  For you newbies, wear comfortable shoes, layer clothing, eat a good breakfast.  Food is expensive - starts at $8.00, + $3-4 for drinks.  There is large ozarka water fountains on the 2nd floor, bottled water is $3, so bring a small bottle and refill. 

If you have a backpack, that seems to work best. keeps your back straight and less back pain.  Remember NO ROLLER BAGS.  Although there Rebels, one lady fell over one at Market and broke her leg.  So look before you (leap) turn or move.  They also Rent the motored chaired, they go very fast, a teacher was hit from behind, knocked down and nearly run over onFriday; so again, watch for the DWQ (Driving While Quilting) careless drivers. 

Wishing you all a safe trip in.  Stay safe and have tones of fun.  The quilts are gorgeous. 

Hi Everyone... I too am going to Houston... leave on Wed and will be there thru Sun... great idea... hope to meet everyone and red ribbon is a great idea... This is my first time ever going to a show... going with a couple "new" quilt friends.... and I am newbie also... got my new machine(freedom) a few months (about7 months) ago and have been quilting away as much as I can... but have so much to learn... and need to look for some panto's all I have are the 2 that came with my machine...

Don't know what to expect... if anyone has gone before... give us all an idea of what to expect... how big is this place... etc

Thanks and hope to meet you guys...

Sue

sue,  i suggest you download the floor map before you get there and highlight all the vendors with the products you are looking for.  first day look at everything.  that night write your shopping list.  second day shop and stick tomyour list third day investigate what else is there.  in between look at the quilys!,,,,  it is huge.

I'm going too and I'll try to be at the meet up.  Advice for new show go'ers is to wear comfortable shoes.    In fact, I usually leave a pair in the car and change them at lunch time.  Also, clean out your purse.  It gets heavy lugging around all that extra weight on your shoulder. As mentioned, food is expensive and we usually go out at lunch.  There is a shopping center a couple of blocks away with a food court.  Getting a breath of fresh air revitalizes us for the afternoon.  We also break up the show and do vendors in the morning and quilts in the afternoon.  My brain stops processing after a while and switching from quilts to vendors helps me not to miss things.  The last thing is bring a sturdy bag for your purchases.  Counting down the hours . . .

thanks everyone for all your great ideas for the show... I have printed off the floor map and highlighten where I want to go... what a great idea.... make me feel more organized to..... I do have another question tho: when purchasing items... is there shipping so I don't have to worry about how much I buy to be able to fit in suitcase....

Need my running shoes on and leaving Wed AM.... so tomorrow I will finish packing and have a quilt to finish ... and need to remember my RED ribbon... see you all there.... SO excited... oh and I am taking a longarm class from Dawn C...... wanted to take more than one but for my first show and we are doing other stuff too... going to the Ghouls night out... the Halloween dinner....

Thanks again ALL

Sue

Those of you coming to festival come by Booth 1733. I am here in Houston helping my friend who develops and manufactures Steady Betty products. The original product is a pressing board. She has since "invented" several other products that are great for quilters.

She is a quilter and developed these things to solve some issues she had. You will love them!

I will try to get to the APQS booth at 2:00 on Fri to meet -- kind of depends on the crowd at the booth.

This was the first time I had been to "market". Quite and experience.

Remember -- STEADY BETTY -- Booth 1733 !!!

By the way -- I second all the advice above about shoes, backpacks, water bottles, etc.

Those of you coming to festival come by Booth 1733. I am here in Houston helping my friend who develops and manufactures Steady Betty products. The original product is a pressing board. She has since "invented" several other products that are great for quilters.

She is a quilter and developed these things to solve some issues she had. You will love them!

I will try to get to the APQS booth at 2:00 on Fri to meet -- kind of depends on the crowd at the booth.

This was the first time I had been to "market". Quite and experience.

Remember -- STEADY BETTY -- Booth 1733 !!!

By the way -- I second all the advice above about shoes, backpacks, water bottles, etc.

Theresa Ford -- Millenium

Archived