Domestic machine purchase

Have a friend who is using my extra  machine for piecing a quilt.  She is interested in buying a new machine as I don't want to part with my extra.

As I have not looked at machines in years, would any of you ladies or gents have comments  or suggestions on purchasing a medium priced new machine.  It will be used mostly for piecing and little else.

Any of your comments or suggestions would be appreciated to get us started on the search.

Marilyn

Yes, I have always heard good things about Pfaffs. I have a Janome for my regular sewing. It was on sale for about $300 and I do love it. It sews like "butta." It is smooth and quiet, not a big throat though if she is going to try any FMQ. My sister bought a used Husqvarna and loves it. My daughter has an inexpensive Brother and it seems to be quite nice. I would tell her to get the bells and whistles that she wants and get the best she can afford. I went online before I bought mine and did a lot of research. Take her to a store and let her test drive a few, and then go to lunch! That would be a really fun day out!

Marilyn:  If the machine is for quilt piecing, the machine the 8 or 10 people in our quilting group prefer are old Singer 301's.  You can find them in some sewing machine stores, or on e-bay.  You should be able to buy a nice one for $150 or $200.  In our opinion, they sew nicer than any of the new machines.  They are lightweight portables, but they will sew just about anything, and they transport very easily. They will also last nearly forever. Jim

A 301 or a featherweight is a fine machine.  If she wants new new, I really like my Brothers, which are siblings to BabyLock machines.  What does she mean by medium price?  I have an Innovis Quilt Club and Innovis Laura Ashley (sew only, not the embroidery model).  Both take my heavy usage and are very very quiet.  You can get a quilt club model for well under a $1000.  My only advice would be to buy from a dealer rather than buy a mass market machine from Walmart or such.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. We are going to start visiting stores for used machines. As she only wants something for piecing and an occasional seam repair in clothes, we are going to check on e-bay for the 30l Singer. I have two 1630 Berninas as I used to do a lot of clothing construction and used many of the features this machine has. Now I only piece quilts (try to avoid all repairing and clothing construction. She would like to spend no more than $600-$800 for a machine.

I, also, have an old Singer which my daughter uses occasionally. I bought it new about 60 years ago (yes, I know that gives away my age). Can't remember the number but it had all of the bells and whistles for that era and that machine sewed many hours and never had a repair.

Your insights in purchasing a machine are much appreciated. It will be kind of fun to look at machines again (even used ones). I think a used one is a smart way for her and we will purchase from a dealer in the area if possible. Would trust buying the 301 Singer on e-bay as the old Singers were excellent machines. I suggested as someone else did, that we not shop Walmart or JoAnn's for a machine. Everyone I know who has went that route has not had good luck with their machines.

Jim, My old Singer has a better straight stitch than my Berninas. I took good care of that machine and it appreciated the care as it never quit running. It is not portable and is in a desk (that is the way I purchased it - I was 19 years of age at the time) My daughter is not really a seamstress and just uses it for mending and occasional little projects. Don't have room or I would have kept it here for myself.

I am really looking forward to this adventure. Live near Toledo, OH. friend lives in Alpena, MI. We are going to meet in Ann Arbor, MI - check out stores in that area. Go to Jackson, MI and then back to Toledo. WHEE!!!

Have another quilting friend who has a Pfaff she purchased a couple of years ago. It cost about $2100 and does lovely machine applique. She also has a Babylock and 3 other older machines. but she loves the Pfaff and I am just a little envious. Her Pfaff does nicer applique than my older Bernina.

Thanks for all of your input everyone, it gives us good ideas and places to start.

Marilyn

Marilyn:  Check the local listing for sewing machine stores, and machine repairs shops for used machines.  I know one of the machine repair shops in Dallas always seems to have a couple of Featherweights and a 301 or two on hand.  You'll pay a premium price there, but the machine will come serviced and ready to go.  Good luck.  Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to post a big THANK YOU  for this thread! I had been wanting to find a nice travel machine that was lighter and more "Basic" (don't want to need complex repairs while traveling) to take in our Airstream trailer when we go on extended trips. I have two Pfaffs at home and they are great but too complex and big for this use. I have a friend in the Airstream club who has a Singer Featherweight and I was looking at those, but thanks to this thread I looked at 301s and found them to be exactly what I was looking for. I bought a very nice clean and serviced machine with lots of the attachments (not really necessary but nice to have and a case in wonderful condition) on e-Bay from someone who was local enough to do local pickup and got it yesterday. What a nice machine indeed! One can see why these were so popular!

Thanks again!

My friend went home last week' and a relative gave her a Singer 30l. She is delighted and now I won't get to go on that shopping trip.

But this forum is great. I have two Bernina's, a Singer about 60 years old (which my daughter is now occasionally using). Also, a Milli and a serger. Sure would like a featherweight for when I quilt with a group as it would be much easier to transport.

This forum gives such great ideas and as far as longarm quilting, I have learned so much by asking questions, receiving multiple suggestions and reading (plus practice).

As everytime I think I can take classes, Mother Nature sends me for repairs, I am so grateful for this forum. Just love longarm quilting, but I don't know how to post any pictures. I am very computer illiterate.

Thanks to everyone for their generosity in sharing ideas, suggestions and much needed information.

Marilyn

Archived