Microwave bowl question

Many of you made microwave bowls last year...I had good intentions :unsure:  This year I AM going to make some.  My question is whether you used one layer of batting, or two.  Some directions say one, and some two.  Any input will be helpful. 

Have a great Thanksgiving...I am certainly thankful for all of the creativity on the forum and the willingness to share!!

I used 1 layer of thin warm and natural and 1 layer of thin 100% cotton.  I also bought some of that "thermal" type batting (but I'm also thinking it had a teflon side) and now I'm wondering if I used that?  If I did use teflon - shouldn't it be sparking in the microwave?  I'll check when I get home from work!  can't wait to hear what other's do!

I used the same batting you put in the "Tater Bags".  It's made to go in the microwave.  Very reasonably priced.  The bowl holder has 2 sides.  Each side has a piece of batting.  That means you will have two pieces of fabric and two pieces of batting for each bowl holder.  There are several different tutorials out there, but they are basically the same as Kathy's and her's has nice pictures.  Post pics when your done. :)

I use one layer of cotton batting for each side.  I quilt a bunch of pieces of fabric on the long arm loaded with batting but no backing, remove and cut to size. Then I sew them together. Some people trim their darts but I don't, I just lay them in opposite directions when sewing the two pieces together. I feel they give them a bit of structure when completed. I've made a couple dozen already and have some kids coming over to quilt up some of their own fabric to make some for their mommies.  So fun!

post-5120-0-95766500-1385580105_thumb.jpg

Archived