I just received a primitive quilt, all done in large blocks of appliquéd wool, on wool, with a wool batting. The customer wants a lot of quilting done. Any suggestions as to dos and don'ts? Wishing I had extra fabric to do some testing having never worked on either before. Homespun backing. 

She seems to want a lot of quilting, it is her first quilt and she used the words, "custom" quilting. Happy to do that, but thought I'd throw it out there to the group first. 

Deanna

It will most likely quilt fine. You may have issues with bulk because of the double layers of wool from the applique. You'll know very soon if you need to raise the hopping foot a bit to accommodate the extra fabric and the poof of the wool batting.

Check the homespun backer for stretch. If it's wimpy, maybe take the time to apply some starch to toughen it up (and charge for your time).

With the simplicity of primitive quilts, "lots of quilting" means density of stitching and maybe not complexity of designs. Traditional stipples, crosshatching, and echoes of the applique would be good designs to stitch.

This is the quilt top and I can get some quilting ideas from picture that came with the block of the month that the customer gave me....

Thanks for the concerns about the homespun, the customer has spared no expense and it is nice and sturdy/NOT stretchy! My hopper foot is going over the background smoothly, but I'll likely have to raise it a bit to stitch anything close to the applique bits as they are pretty thick and they will really pop if i echo them.

Thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming! Seems daunting but a good money maker and it is the customer's first quilt so hopefully there are many more in my future!

post-3692-0-78963800-1386001799_thumb.jpg

Still, finished or not, it is pretty.   I'd too consider a "loose"  design, to make the applique pop up a bit.  With so much wool, why stitch the poof down with dense quilting?   She may not understand how it will look.. maybe baste a block and ask her to check it out before continuing.  Wouldn't even have to do a whole block, just around an applique a bit.

Rita

I love this top!!!  Ooooooh and ahhhhh...  The Quilted Pineapple blog (www.thequiltedpineapple.com) has a lot of great ideas for primitive style quilts.  If it were me, if the customer likes the super prim look I would ditch around the wool appliques...and then maybe do echoing around the blocks and feathers in the borders.  Super pretty!!!  I can't wait to see what you do.  :)

Archived