Scorch marks

Yes, that's what I said - scorch marks. On a customer quilt.... light pink. I got a little carried away in trying to steam out a very full and wonky corner and lightly scorched the fabric. I did an Internet search and got solutions involving peroxide or vinegar. Has anyone tried either of these remedies? Any other suggestions (other than a brain transplant, or perhaps a new line of business for me)?

Carol

Vickie - just wanted to make sure I understand your reply....You iron clothes????  What?????

Zora - thank you, I will try that first.  I was worried about fading the color with hydrogen peroxide.  It is not in a place that could be easily covered or replaced.

Carol

It was only a blouse, a white one and I scorched the corner of the collar…and that was last fall when I was living in an apt and had nothing but time on my hands….I remember those days, iron something to wear, go shopping…read….not my schedule anymore!!!!  And I did enjoy it while it lasted!

I tried peroxide on a scorch mark…it did nothing at all.  This won't help you in the case of your customer quilt but I made my first whole cloth and EVERYTHING went wrong.  I bled on it, I scorched it, the pencil I used to mark it would NOT come out.  I wound up dyeing the ivory quilt three times until a PURPLE color finally covered all the boo boos.  I named the quilt "Long Journey to Deep Purple".  What a learning experience!  My fingers are crossed that the vinegar will work for you.   Nancy in Tucson

I had marks from Magic Spray Sizing, not exactly starch but still left marks when I was ironing.  I dabbed them with a wet washcloth and Dial Clear Liquid Hand Soap. Came right out.  Then I went back with just water to remove the soap, let dry and all was fine.  

I used peroxide to remove scorch marks on a linen wall hanging that I had made and was successful in removing the marks.  The linen was white so there was no discoloration from the peroxide, but there may be if peroxide is used on a colored fabric.  Good luck, and let us know what works for you.

I tried the white vinegar first and it did not have any effect that I could tell.  Then went to the hydrogen peroxide.  Per internet instructions, I wet a scrap of fabric with the peroxide, laid it over the scorch mark, then ironed it with the iron at a medium setting.  I did this 5 times, with the mark getting fainter each time.  Right now the mark is barely noticeable, and the color of the fabric is just beginning to fade, so I will stop.  I really don't think you will be able to see if after the quilt is washed. I may work on it one more time with regular clothes detergent just to make sure I have gotten as much out as possible.  So, it seems that the peroxide method will work, but I sure wouldn't use it on a dark fabric.   

Carol

Archived