Suggestions for shadowbox quilt?

How have most of you quilted shadowbox quilts?  Sorry I don't have a picture of more of the quilt, but it's basically overall like the attached photo.

There are two small borders.  One is about 1" wide and made of pieced rectangles of different batiks, the outer border is about 3" wide of the light tan fabric.

I would like to do custom but not sure what to do.  Maybe an overall panto would be better.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

post-4461-0-68033800-1388839714_thumb.jpg

I'm interested too because I have two Shadow Box quilts that need to be quilted and I can't decide what to do with them other than an overall which I didn't particularly want to do.  Someone on here did one a few years ago and it was beautiful, but it was before the "new" forum so those pics are gone. 

I'm almost sure I saved these from here so if you recognize them please speak up.

post-4696-0-87807200-1388870662_thumb.jpg

post-4696-0-53344900-1388870669_thumb.jpg

I did several of these a few years ago and did allovers on both (customer request), one is swirls and the other in a fall leaf pant as the fabric was fall batiks…I will try to include the pictures but if this doesn't work look at the 2010 pictures on my flckr acct….

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/4721816839/player/46a5d495cf" height="500" width="375"  frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/4471189861/player/dd67462ff0" height="375" width="500"  frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

If you are looking at doing custom, you could also treat it like a modern quilt and have fun with those blocks….

If your customer wants custom, I would do something like large pebbles in the background, ribbon candy or straight lines following the L shape of the black shadows, and a variety of modern designs in the print rectangles....diagonal lines, freeform echoed wavy lines, freeform crosshatching..that kind of thing. 

Sometimes I do as Lynn describes, but largely it depends on the fabrics in the quilt.  Most of the time I do edge to edge with a panto that goes well with the fabrics.  I have made several of these quilts myself and love the pattern.  Every single one has turned out beautiful!  I  one in progress right now with SW fabrics.  I'm going to do e2e on it with a SW panto.  For the one you posted, I would use Batik, Ruffles, or Splash!  I would like any of those.  I adjust patterns to the taste of my customers.

Thanks for finding those photos, Oma. Very nice quilting!  I did a search but couldn't find anything on the new forum. I hope you get some ideas from this too!

Vicki - your shadowbox quilts are lovely with the pantos you chose.  I got carried away looking at all of your other beautiful work!

Zora - I like your ideas for custom.  Hadn't thought about the ribbon candy design on the black shadow area.  That would be pretty.

Merry Jo - I like all of those pantos you mentioned, especially Batik.   

Kathy - I love your custom quilt!  It's beautiful.  But the one with the panto is just as nice, a more simple pattern very similar to the one on my frame.

I think I'm leaning more towards a panto now.  It's for my cousin and she said "do whatever, just have fun" so I'm fortunate in that respect.

Thanks again everyone!  I knew I could count on this forum for great ideas. ;)

Archived