Titanium needles

OK, here is today's problem. I am quilting a batik top with batik backing - with superior variegated thread, bottom line on the bobbin. I was advised to use a titanium needle, which I do have. I seem to have the tension OK, but the top thread is skipping stitches, sometimes for an inch or so, then picks back up again. Shortly after this, the thread breaks. The thread spool is new. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am on a tight time table as this is Monday at 2PM and must be done by Thursday at MN. :(

This is a problem that crops up with me, also, from time to time. Soooo frustrating. Try some sewer's aid if you have it. I wish I knew what the true answer is but I know that last time it was really bad we went thru' the timing procedure and this seems to have helped. Also, any itty bitty bit of lint in the bobbin area could be the culprit. I do find the problem worse with batiks, I've come to dread batik quilts that come my way :( although some quilt up like a dream.

I don't think I've helped you much, sorry.....Sandra

Bobbin gremlins.... :mad:

I have had that same problem before. Now, the first thing I do is pull the bobbin case out, pull the bobbin out and clean the daylights out of the bobbin case and the hook area.

Sometimes tiny globs of thread get into the bobbin case and they seem to bounce around in there until it gets in the way of thread trying to make a stitch and then I get intermittent skipped or sloppy stitches. I stop, check the tension etc and the glob drops or lays down waiting for the bobbin to start to spin again.

Try cleaning it thoroughly including the latch area on bobbin case.

By the way, which Superior variegated thread are you using?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Linda (Ramona-quilter), you were so right! I cleaned the heck out of the bobbin case and the hook area.

Then, just because I was doing three new things at once - sewing on batik, using a variegated thread, and using a titanium needle - decided to switch back to the 4.0 needle, and now everything is purring like a kitten.

So far, so good, looks like I will make my deadline! This is a quilt that I am making for my daughter's bridal shower on Saturday and she is flying in Friday AM, so it has to be done by Thursday night.

Thank you all for this helpful information. I'm working on my first batik next and shall use the 4.0 needle. Also have Sewer's Aid standing by in the drawer. My threads are Superior.

Good luck with your deadline LLJ. You're cutting it close. Congratulations on your daughter's pending wedding. How exciting. My daughter is 30 with no beau yet. Enjoy!

Vicki

Hi,

Just a thought. Are the titanium neddles Gross Becket? Only because I have used them very early on, thinking they are great as they would last longer but found them to skip stitches and was having al sorts of problem. As my DH pointed out to me they are a little bit shorter than the Singer MR 4 recomended by APQS and it is possible the don't quite reach down into the bobbin area to make a full stitch. With batik fabric i found changing my needle more often as there is still residual in the fabric and this may cause the thread to break.

I hope you have a great day!

Simone:)

Hi Simone,

I spoke with Tina from APQS who says we don't need the titanium needles at all - just use the 4.0. I had gotten my titanium needles from the show in New Hampshire two years ago, thinking they would be great to have on hand. The quilt I am doing is throw size, and I have changed needles twice so far - as soon as I start hearing the "popping" noise, time to change! Since I removed the titanium needle, I have had no more skipped stitches!

Linda :)

I think I might have the answer to titanium problems. I used to have a brand X machine. When I changed to a different brand of needles, the machine had to be either retimed or the needle bar had to be changed. Can't remember which one. If you go back to the Singer needle, the machine should run well. It's the different brand that requires the adjustment. If you stick to one brand of needles, you can change to different sizes and models. (I think I learned this at Innovations at a machine maintenance class.)

Good information Simone, you can't usually even see the small difference in length of needle and diameter and scarf but it makes a difference to how pretty the stitches are.

Mike Moore suggests in the manual that we only use the needles that come with the machine

Sue in australia.

Archived