Alto Quick Cut 2

I bought one of these at MQX this year as...well let's just say that Quiltguy is a Gadget Guy :) and I thought it would be useful for cutting repetitive shapes for which I did not have dies for my Accuquilt system.

I had my first opportunity to use it recently when I signed up for the iSpy quilt fabric exchange and I had to cut 160 4" squares and I did not have a 4" die! I thought was a great opportunity to give the Quiltcut 2 a workout!

My impressions:

The mat was in good position and did not need the adjustment they stated in the directions might be needed. The materials are of good quality, plastic not metal but appear sturdy enough. Aluminum or some other metal might have been nice from the durability standpoint, but would undoubtedly have increased the price. The ruler fits nicely on the rails and moves easily after sliding it once or twice (maybe some roughness from the manufacturing process which flattened quickly). It did have a very small degree of "slop" in the detent setting however with the long guide lines it is very easy to assure it is in exact 90 degree alignment for your cut. This is a bit more problematic for angled cuts, though I will emphasize that the "wiggle" is very small. There is a small knob in the middle of the ruler that allows you to hold it flat and steady over its length with minimal effort. The fabric clamping system works well though I would prefer the overall system was a bit larger t will hold the entire width of a standard bolt (44-45") folded once. I got the kit which included the speed rule which once you get used to does allow for fairly quick repetitive cuts. The kit came with two DVDs and another smaller cutting mat, the speed rule and a very nice carrying case. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I got it at a discount at the show and I think it was about 30-35% off. Is it worth it...well I guess that is up to you...based on my limited use so far I am happy with my purchase. There is a pro version with 3 axes instead of 2 and it is larger...not really portable though and it doesn't cut angles...of course I love my gadgets...hmmmmm I DO have a birthday coming up and the smaller one would be great at our vacation place... ;)

I have an Alto Quick Cut 2 somewhere in my room upstairs.  I never really cared for it.  I even bought the carrying case for it.  I thought I would love it and then I bought my Studio cutter and never used the Quick Cut again.  I loaned it to my sil for quite a while and just got it back last year. 

I have an Alto Quick Cut 2 somewhere in my room upstairs.  I never really cared for it.  I even bought the carrying case for it.  I thought I would love it and then I bought my Studio cutter and never used the Quick Cut again.  I loaned it to my sil for quite a while and just got it back last year.

I not convinced I love it either...but it did work as advertised...definitely a personal choice.

I am intrigued by the new Brother cutter: t think it might be called scan and cut.  The description made me think that it did not require dies but could scan and cut whatever shape was needed.  It is fairly expensive (about $500, I think) but might make sense when one considers the cost of the accuquilt dies.  Has anyone checked it out?

I think the Brother machine cuts one shape at a time doesn't it?  I have a KNK cutter that I could use to cut one layer at a time and it is great but I wouldn't want to cut loads of triangles or squares or things like that.  I use my KNK cutter to cut shapes for applique, mostly foundations or freezer paper.  It will even cut template plastic.  It is an awesome tool.  I think it was only around $300.  

I loved mine, but I just didn't have the space to leave it out so I could use it as often as I would have liked.  I eventually sold it, but only for that reason.  It was a great tool.

I'm pretty good with a regular ruler and mat for strips (actually, I have a couple of June Tailor strip cut rulers that are the bomb!), and I prefer to use a Triangulations CD for HSTs, QSTs, and Flying Geese, so I don't need a cutter of that sort.

I did, however, buy a Silhouette Cameo for cutting appliqué shapes, and I really love it.  

Ok -- I've been putting off asking this question because I didn't want to appear stupid.  But, since we are on the topic of cutting systems, I have to ask.  I have the Accuquilt Go! cutter and I hate it.  I have tried it numerous times and have never gotten a straight strip.  What makes the fabric slip while cutting?  I use the plastic mat on top and have held it down with my hand as far as I could.  I have tried going fast and I've tried going slow and I always turn the handle smoothly.  I have tried putting the die at a slight angle and I have tried putting it in straight.  I never use more than two different fabrics (all cotton) for a total of four layers.  Even when I use only one fabric (2 layers).  I have measured the blades on the dies and they are the correct size.  AND this happens on any strip die I use.  The top of the strip is the correct width, but from the middle down, it's off (and sometimes by 1/2").  It has been very frustrating.  I thought about upgrading to the Studio, but am afraid if I do and it doesn't work right I'll really be upset.

Any suggestions?

I loved mine, but I just didn't have the space to leave it out so I could use it as often as I would have liked.  I eventually sold it, but only for that reason.  It was a great tool.

I'm pretty good with a regular ruler and mat for strips (actually, I have a couple of June Tailor strip cut rulers that are the bomb!), and I prefer to use a Triangulations CD for HSTs, QSTs, and Flying Geese, so I don't need a cutter of that sort.

I did, however, buy a Silhouette Cameo for cutting appliqué shapes, and I really love it.

The cameo has entered my must have list after a previous thread...just looking for the best deal!

Lisa E,  thanks for the info.  How long ago was that?  With the recent price hike,  and I am not sure if it is all postage or just stamps,

it would be a bit more, shouldn't be a whole lot more.

Delores,  I think you would do well to call or email AccuQuilt Cut and tell them about it.  It will be best if you have the purchase info.

If you are having problems with all strips, then it must be the machine, if it is just the one strip cutter, it could be either.   This sounds

dumb and I'm not downtrodding anyones intelligence, have you tried reversing the board?  I'd use scraps of unwanted fabric to

check it out.  I'd still call them, with info of when and where you bought it, if it did it from the start, or?  You might want to take picts of

the strips before cut, as cutting and after cutting, with the cutting matt still on top, then when it's removed.  If you have low humidity,

simply sort of slide the matt off in a curved motion.  If I don't do the curve thingie I have pieces all over, some still sticking to the matt. 

Rita

Thanks for the info, Rita.  To be honest, I never thought about reversing the board.  I just pick it up and use whatever end I put down.  I, too, have had the fabric stick to the mat (like static).  I was a YouTube video about sliding the mat off instead of picking it up.  I am going to try this.  Before I call Accuquilt, I am going to try something else I saw on YouTube.  I am going to try putting a piece of plain white paper over the fabric, but under the mat.  This is suppose to stop the distortion.  If this doesn't work, then I will call Accuquilt and talk to them.  I purchased the machine right after it came out, so it is pretty old; but because it doesn't cut straight, I haven't used it alot.  I just keep pulling it out and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and when it doesn't work, I put it away for awhile again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm embarrassed to say I have all the above mentioned.  Funny, I just put out an email to sell my accucut.  I don't have the space for it and don't use it much anymore.  I have a Go which I loan out to friends, which is where it is now.  It has its uses at times.  I bought it because I happened to be at at QIAD retreat and El was selling them for a price that couldn't be passed up.  I now have the Scan and Cut and am just learning to use it.  It has a ton of uses!  My business partner and I will be taking it to retreats for the girls to use as we do the Go.  We have a retreat business so it's fun to share new items, gadgets, and notions.

Beth

quiltingonthemountain.com

I had the Alto Quick Cut 2 and found that the cuts I made were off.  I did better with a ruler and sold it at the country store at our guild's show a few years back.

I have the AccuQuilt Go and had problems with distorted cuts in the beginning.  If you are having problems they are happy to help you so give them a call.  One thing that I learned is you need to feed the lengthwise grain of the fabric into the cutter and your cuts will be much more accurate.  I was on the fence about upgrading to the Studio because of the cost and the fact I cut just for myself, but I did get it due to tendonitis problems in my wrists.  The Studio is by far much easier to turn.  I was cutting fabric two weeks after having had surgery on both wrists and had no problem using the Studio.  I bought the adapters for the Studio so that I can use my Go dies with it and they work great.

Archived