Snow

Wow, it is suddenly snowing enough to give us a good coating, and if freezing rain or sleet follow, we definately will be snowed in for a few days.  We live on a dead end road in the county, so we are the last ones to get

the snow graders, they didn't come at all last time. 

There are 3 hills on our lane (half mile long), that are shaded and don't thaw well.  We are almost at the bottom of one, and when he has to go somewhere, he has to back up to the bottom to get clear pavement and some traction to start out.   Since he was raised not far from the Carroll APQS factory, he knows how to drive in snow.. and it's not something a person forgets.

LOL, a good time to get some pieceing done before the power goes out.  If we get enough I can try more snow dyeing.

Our ISP has gone all digital and we can't get any of the TV's hooked up to the new added boxes to work.  It is frustrating to not be able to watch the news.. On the internet, to watch news they want us to sign up for prime time and we won't do that!  News, is Prime Time??

Just sayin'

Rita

Rita - I hope you can get the company to come and get those boxes hooked up correctly.  I don't have cable or satellite TV here.  I have a simple in house antenna that picks up local stations, and I have a Roku box, which picks up my internet wifi signal and plugs into my TV.  Through it, I can get Netflix, Hulu, etc.  I pay for Amazon Prime (originally so I could get free two-day shipping on anything I order) and it has lots of free content, both movies and TV that you can stream through the Roku box.  I also pay $24/year for a subscription to Acorn TV, which is British - murder mysteries (my favorite) galore.  The Roku box is about $60-100, but I'm not paying big bucks for cable every month, can pause and stop programs when I'm doing other things, and I just love it.  Check Amazon or Radio Shack for an antenna that may work in your area.  I know you probably can't before the storm hits.  At least, I hope, you have radio!

Rita,

Wow, you are not that far from me and we have yet to see a snowflake today.   Does http://centralnc.twcnews.com/ work for you?  It doesn't ask me to sign in to watch anything.  I have Directv for TV, but use Time Warner for internet, so I may be getting it for free since it is a Time Warner site.  Normally I get my news on Yahoo! or WRAL.   

Linda, thanks for all the info.. we don't usually watch much TV, but right now

with the Olympics on we do watch that!

It's more Travel, Food, Animal Planet, Disc, Nat Geo, A&E, etc.  Sometimes

he watches Channel 6, or a ball game, Nas car race, etc..

We are down in a little heck, canyon?  dip?  between sand hills, that's right.

Antennaes won't even pick up snow.. lol, much less a TV.  We do have 2

battery radios, and the weather radio.. (it warned of this coming storm, last

night, so it must be going to be bad) and extra batteries.

We can't even get a cell phone signal unless we go into the neighbors yard..

can be cold and wet, or blazing hot at times.  I so wish an antennae would work.

Thanks though, I appreciate all the help/suggestions.. 

HugZ

Rita

Angela,  We had close to 1 1/2"  We still have about an inch out on the deck and rails.

I have the feeling this is going to be a bad storm..  praying not, BUT .

Thanks for that news link.  I put it in my favs.. love the current and concise news and

easy way to call them up.  Nearly instant.

I need to download the picts of yesterday and post them on Flicker or Facebook.

thanks for the help,

Rita

Rita,

We got around 6 inches of snow today and so far about 2 inches of ice on top of it.  It is going to be just nasty out for the next couple days.  Stay safe and warm!  

That is the news site for your area from News 14 Carolina.   Doesn't always help getting news and weather from a big city a over an hour a way.    The do a pretty good job of breaking the news down into appropriate regions.  I used to what that channel when we had cable, now I kind of just avoid the news all together.  :)

Are you coming to the Raleigh or Charlotte Road Show?  

LOL, Sylvia, I had mental visions of you catching the raindrops and freezing them into snow flakes.  ROFL..

never know where my mind will go!  :blush:  :D

Angela, we added another 5 inches, but just looking out the window, I don't see much ice, definately not

2 inches...

You Stay Safe.

One grand daughter was at work yesterday at Cary the other at So Pines, into the snow.  Don't know how

on earth they could see to get home.  One was use to driving in snow, up at Boone, the other no experience

at all until we got the 1 & 1/2" the other day.  She said she was scared, and tense.. neither good for driving.

Son in law was in Tennessee and drove home after the first snow and got home yesterday before it began

snowing.

Dang, can't help but worry about all of them.  Daughter even went cleaning houses before the snow and had to drive

home right in the midst of it.

Well, off to breakfast, soon I hope, and to quilting and maybe more dyeing.

Enjoy the beauty and stay home & Safe if you are in the new snow areas of the states...

Rita

I did get 2 batches of snow dye on.  I am going to try posting some again.. Need to upload to flicker.

I so wish we had something to sled on.  The grandkids have disks, but no hope of borrowing any.

Hey Rita

We got the ice at our place.  We lost all of our power in the whole area yesterday with tree limbs coming down all over the place.  We didn't have any branches in our house but our son had one come thru his living room ceiling.  Also our friend had one come thru the ceiling as well.  Our power stayed out about 6 hours but others were out longer than that;  Hope you all stayed safe

Jeanne,

Glad you made it through OK.  Ice is much worse then snow.  We got ice last night, but I think the snow cover helped us because we did not accumulated much ice.  It is now snowing again.  

Rita,

Glad your kids are all OK.  I don't think you ever stop worrying about them.  

I may have to get the supplies to try snow dyeing next year.  That will guarantee that there will be no snow within a 2 hour radius of me until I give up and get rid of them.   :)

Jeanne,  we had more frozen rain than ice.  The ice we have was from the 35F temp we had yesterday and the melted snow  I don't see any dead branches down in our yard.  So, Im very glad to hear you are ok and sorry that your kids and friends have to go thru the roof damage, and resulting disruption from it. Glad they are safe.

Angela, we didn't get much ice.  Most of what we got yesterday was snow, then rain. then frozen rain.

The ice we have was from the temps of 35F and melting, then refreezing.   The ice cicles are all gone, the accumulation on the bird feeder shield has fallen off and it's 35F today.

So we are beginning to heal.   The power outtage we had was so small as to not turn the tv and computers off.  Just a mere flicker.  It was probably ice falling on the lines, or a section so large that the wires bounced when it fell off.  We can thank our Good Lord for being safe, the family safe, and uninjured, as well as all of you.. at least those we've heard from, so far.

I wonder how FL did?  Georgia, So Carolina and Alabama did.. Haven't heard anything but from NC and on up North.. Not much news about Virginia, WV either;

Please, all stay safe. and healthy.

Rita

Archived