Worth the investment?

I struggle with lack of imagination in deciding how to quilt my quilts. I do not have a computerized longarm. I am debating about purchasing Darlene Epps Trilogy pocket guides. For those that have them, do you consider them a good investment and are the designs easy to learn? I need a "go to" reference when I am stuck and want to get the most for my money. Thank you!

Tyra, I have several things that I use to get my imagination going.  I don't have Darlene Epps pocket guides but they are on my wish list.  But I do have Linda Rech's book on border designs, a couple of Deloa Jones' books, and a couple other books that I can't remember the names of now.  These are all so helpful.  I also have a 3 ring binder of pictures quilts that I have printed that have quilting designs that I really like. Plus I have a piece of clear plastic with blue painters tape around the outside that is the width of my quilting space and over 1/2 the length that I will lay over a quilt and draw on with erasable markers.  All these things get me started and once I start quilting one design in a certain area, the rest of the quilt just evolves.

I have Darlene's pocket guides.  I used them a lot the first couple years I quilted.  They are great because they start with a basic shape and then build on them.  I scheduled drawing time and would start with them and then just let myself build from them.  When ever we traveled I would take one and sketch book.  They are a great way to get yourself comfortable with basic designs and to teach yourself how to create new ones.  

I actually have two sets of Darlene's Pocket Guides. One is in my quilt cave and the other in my computer backpack, along with a doodle pad. When I travel and during meetings, I practice quilting designs. Darlene's Pocket Guides are well worth the investment in my opinion!

I also have Darlene's pocket guides and find myself looking through them when I'm stumped for inspiration.  I also doodled a one page drawing of my favorite background fillers and taped it on the top of my tool box behind my long arm so it's always right there when I need it for ideas.

Archived