fullness & pieced backing

I just finished a rush job on a queen size comfort quilt that I thought would be really simple.  The top was a "cheater" quilt top & the backing was pieced with a very thin fabric.  There was a seam down the middle of the backing.  The left half of the backing was one piece, & the other half had 3 pieces.  It was like if you cut out a rectangle on the corner.  I measured the top & it was 1/2" off.  The back was 5" shorter on the side that had the 3 pieces in it.  When I put the backing on the machine, the back was tight on one side (pieced) & there was slack on the other side.  I started seeing fullness on the top about 1/2 way through. I was able to work it out until the end.  There was so much fullness.  I tried not to make a pleat, but it happened anyway.  I never see this coming until the end.  I never square quilt tops, because I don't want to cut off borders, but realize that I could & should have done so on this one.  Can anyone help me wrap my head around this? Why does all the fullness happen at the end?

Linda, I think because the more you "roll" it on your rollers as you quilt down, the more "off" it becomes. I don't mind quilting my own backings that I piece the heck out of, because I know that I have to be particular in piecing and not use a tight stitch, but a lot of folks that don't longarm, don't understand what a pain multiple piecings can become. Sometimes it will help to use some extra pieces of batting to take up the slack. As you roll the quilt, add the batting where the looseness is an then back roll a bit. The extra batting pieces will take up the slack and keep the backer more evenly taut. You can also do this as you roll the backing fabric onto the rollers, before you add the quilt top. Usually you will see where the problems are going to be apparent and stuff a little bit of backing between the roller and the backing fabric. Just be sure you don't quilt that extra batting in cuz then you have a whole 'nother problem. LOL

I square the backings before loading them.  It's easier than fighting them the whole quilt.  If it was the quilt top that needed the pleats, it might be a whole other problem.  If you are floating the top, you can have this problem if your backing Isn't rolling square.  A top half inch out of square is not significant and should not have been a huge problem.  Start squaring all your backing and see if it doesn' t resolve at least some of the problems.

Just make sure your leaders are square to roll the top onto..  I found in the beginning mine were not square, but after making it square I had alot more sucess.  I would not even consider full float these days.  But I guess it all comes down to personal preference. 

Archived