machine quilting problem

Trying to machine quilt a queen sized quilt I made for my daughter and having trouble. Botton thread is looping and pulling thread through from top - just a mess. What am I doing wrong? I have to take out a whole 4" by 80" strip of quilting and ready to pull my hair out. Any help would be welcomed. THanks girls!

Good morning! I am wondering if the thread loops are on the back of the quilt? If so...Check your bobbin tension. I bought one of those TOWA tension testers, and it is truly one of the best things I ever purchased...I am reminded of that periodically when I don't use it, and I get loops on the back of my quilt...Of course, then I eat chocolate and drink coffee instead!

Take care, and hang in there! Check your bobbin case, and tension.

Karen Burns

Carnation Washington

Hi Karen"

THanks so much - yes the loops are on the back. I will check the bobbin tension and see what happens. THought maybe I was moving my piece too fast but that didn't seem to be the problem - or maybe it is ... too much coffee and chocolate after all. The quilt is really beautiful. Antique Tile pattern in blues yellows and greens. Will check it out when I get home from work. Have a good one. Karen. aka Katyeyes in Hamilton,ON Canada

I have found with loopies, and I have them a lot, it is usually a combination of my bobbin tension and my top tension. Because my shop is so cold, I have to adjust just abotu everything each time I start. so I have found these things to help my blood pressure during a loopy storm.

singing and dancing all by myself, hot chocolate, dark chocolate, a good chick flick in the DVD player and sometimes just a good old fashioned scream. but then I am out in my shop away from the house so I can get away with the scream.:P

Let us know how it goes, and please remember to breath.

I was finishing a quilt tonight.. and my thread kept breaking... I finally changed the needle, cleaned the bobbin case, and adjusted the tension.... to my amazement, I got the quiit finished.. (Finally)...

A little patient goes a long way... I took a break and walked away from it for awhile.... that helps also....

Barb

Other than the great advice that you have gotten so far.... Not sure how long you have had your machine but I do know that when I have changed threads like from SO Fine then switch to King Tut there is totally different tension needed to each thread. Don't know if this the issue but its something to try.

Archived