Need to find "quiltmonkey" shana

Several years ago we did the 11 day Inside Passage cruise with NCL. I did some homework and knew which ports-of-call had quilt shops or fabric shops. We added those shops to our excursion list and I made it home with enough fabric for an "Alaskan Vacation quilt." On the long flight home I drew up the blocks and decided what fabrics to use where. It was great and I think I had the best "scrapbook" of them all!!!!

Quilt cruises are awesome. They provide a room full of machines, have a store, provide discounts at all the quilt shops in ports of call. There are no classes while in port, so you can sight see and go on excursions. We had a wonderful time!! And the Alaskan cruise is so beautiful!!!

When we were making our plans to go to Alaska I was given info and advice from Vicki (Primitive 1).  She used to live there and told me about a fantastic shop...the owner remembered Vicki well.  The very best advice she gave me was ... DO NOT take an umbrella...take a rain jacket.  We wore our rain jackets a LOT.  That is one trip I would do again in a heart beat.  Alaska is rugged and absolutely beautiful!

I'd love, love love to go back.   We are thinking a shop we were directed to was just on the outskirts of Soldotna.

Gorgeous little shop, loads of fabric and supplies.  The ladie/owner was just closing and asked us in, actually insisted

and chatted for over 1 1/2 hours..  She said she enjoyed it.. and wanted to.  We stayed until my guilt feelings sent me

to the door... I can't explain how relaxed we were, even himself.  She made us feel that way.

There were a couple of other shops down on the kenai peninsula, and we both  strolled through them.  I so would love

to go back.   LOL, I have two prepaid airline tickets, round trip, and can't figure where to use them.. Also 2 nights.  in a motel.. but

Only for the lower 48.     Here we are adding big dollar repairs to our list.. that we didn't know would need help, and several

nights in a motel as the dustier and dirtier work takes place.. lol,  Of course we can't use the motel, unless it is in the middle

of the two way round trip..

Murphy gets a LOT irritating, and has been especially so the last few days.  He needs the Shamrock Boot !!  lol

Well...Hi there!

I just popped in after being gone for a week or so and I was surprised someone is actually looking for me! :)   I've never been on a cruise ship before, so I'm not much help with advice, but I only hear good things about them (especially the cruise along the Alaska panhandle - inside passage). You will see lots of glaciers along that route, and lots of quilt shops along the way, too. As you can see, quite a few ladies on this chat have done the Alaska cruises. Perhaps maybe some day I will -- it's on my list of things to do. Have fun and tell us all about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to get back on here, first of all thanks for all the offered help...the cruise is a "quilting cruise" put on by Stitchin Heaven out of Texas,(there are between 75 & 100 quilters) they have cruises all year long to several different places, Carribean, Alaska, Hawaii, New England and the cruise line is Royal Carribean. The Alaskan cruise is in August, and I was concerned about the weather. Vancouver, Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier and Seward...my husband said that would be another one that he would like to go on, so was looking for information. They also have bus tours...Stitchinheaven.com click the travel tab. 

Snowflake

There is an AWESOME quilt shop in Skagway called Rushin Tailor that specializes in Alaskan fabric and patterns.  They also have a sister shop a couple of doors down that does wool, needlepoint etc.  If you type the name Rusin Tailor in google, they have a really great online store, and you can get an idea of what they have.

The staff is very friendly and helpful.  I have not been on a cruise, but have driven there from Whitehorse.  Well worth the drive

Vicki

A.K.A. Northern Girl

Archived