Any ideas for this one??

Linda,

I would match your top and bottom thread...if you use white in the white areas....use it on both top and bottom...and change if you use blue in those areas.

With the upholstery fabric there isn't going to be a chance the threads will lay into the fibers...they will more than likely just lay on the fabric because of the thickness so I would just match top and bottom so you don't have worry about pokies showing either way.

Mary Beth - Thank you for the words of encouragement. This was a class project for the customer. She normally buys quality fabric so this backing was a surprise. :o

Bonnie - I was just worried about being able to stitch thru this thick stuff. I hadn't even thought about the thickness effecting the lay of the thread. But I think you are right, the fabric is too stiff and thick to get pulled in by stitching. So it will probably not look quilted. I will take your advice on matching the top and bobbom thread. I don't usually change the bobbin color, but I'm afraid I will have some pokey issues with that backing. I think I'm going to use PermaCore thread; I'm going to need the industrial strength thread. LOL.

All that edge is bias. I don't know if I am sad or happy that there are no borders. This customer's borders are the best, flattest I've ever seen. I have already stitched the perimeter. I really wanted to serge the perimeter of the backing but that felt a bit wierd.

Have you ever serged a backing fabric?

And all that echo. YIKES. I've never done that much or on that large a motif. I wonder if I should use the microdrive handles to keep the stitch lines close or just use a ruler....and which ruler. I jsut started using rulers and that was Megan's SID ruler.

Linda,

You shouldn't have any trouble quilting the back fabric...I have done several with very heavy fabrics, designer bedspreads with very heavy decorator fabrics.....and they all turned out very well...as long as you realize that the thread won't be as imbedded into the fibers as with regular cotton you won't be disappointed.

You might want to add some spray starch and steam to the edges so that the bias doesn't pull as bad...I use it all the time and it does make a difference. and it seeams to draw up the bellowing that sometimes happens when the customer doesn't get the edges on correctly.

I personally have never used the serger, but I have a friend who uses it only....so it must be okay.

Starch, yes, good idea.

I don't know why I am so afraid of this quilt. When my DH heard me tell somebody that this one would probably be on the rollers for a week, he asked why I'm not using zippers on it. I'm afraid that the backing will just unravel on me. :(

I had planned to fold-over the edges so I can pin them. But it is so thick that a fold may be too thick to pin. I will try the steam and starch. Thanks, Bonnie.

Where should the echo of the big guy stop?

Should I cross into the blue with my echo of the big flower or is that a natural place to start a different design, like palm fronds surrounding a freeform of the flower.

Should I SID around that center flower block? And the smaller flower blocks?

Hi Linda--

If that was mine to quilt, I would contain all the echo stitching inside the white blocks, if only to keep your sanity trying to keep it all even stitching over the seam allowances. The first pass would go outside the white blocks because of the closeness of the outside flowers to the edge. After that, the echo could stay inside the quadrants--probably a lot easier to do!

That is a great top--pretty colors and piecing. It was interesting that the piecer did this in a class and still put bias on the edges!!! Was that teacher error or was there a mis-communication? Good luck--think how much you'll learn, a hopefully pass along to all your fans here on the chat!!!! Post pics when you are done, pleeease!

A fan---

Linda R

Linda here are a couple of pictures of a quilt that I did with the Hawaiian echo on it. I wouldn't make them as close as I did on this one because the dense parts shrank up way different than the rest of the quilt did, but we still use it anyways.

It's a hibiscus

I'm still working a a huge Hawaiian applique quilt for my daughter. I got out my books and this is a hibiscus. Here's a picture showing what it should look like. It's five petals to be stictched into the applique to show the flower and the stamen lays across one of the petals. I would add a couple of stem lines in each petal and the leaves, too. Do the echo on the outside of the applique, keep the echo a finger width apart. Stop at the ege of the white blocks or go ahead and go into the blue until you can go all the way around the whole thing once. A leafy ivy like vine twining around in the blue would be pretty and then "just" SID the peiced blocks.

Maybe more than you want to do on this but to actually see the flowers stitched so they show up as what they are would make the quilt! Here's a picture (be nice I printed off yours. traced around it so it would show up, drew the pattern for the petals, took a picture with my cell phone, and emailed it to myself, then posted it here!)

You know, I just have to pop in and say something...

You guys are awesome for all of the wonderful ideas using starch, serging, tape, and the ideas for quilting, too. This chat board is so wonderful. I am honored to be part of a group of people like you who are so willing to share ideas. We all are in this together and it's such a wonderful feeling to know we've got a place to go when we need help.

I know when I get my longarm, I will have a gazillion questions. But, I've learned so much from you already. You all are a blessing. Thank you!

(((bowing in your honor))) My lovely friends,

Shana

Ditto to what Shana said. I have gotten some wonderful ideas. You guys are amazing. Mary Beth, Bonnie, Linda, Stormy, Dixie and wonder woman...Kenna. I should mail this bad boy to you. You have already done most of the word. LOL. :P

Thanks so much everybody. I'll post photos when it's done.

Think of those quilts that are appliqued with stems and leaves. Then in the white part of those quilts there are stitched leaves to match the colored applique ones. So, using this idea take the center block of hibicus flowers and leaves and stitch them in the blue area. To make them pop, use McTavishing or stipling stitches to create the density to make the hibicus flowers and leaves appear. To me, the quilt is crying out for more of the motifs in the blue area, and provide more balance. Right now it seems to empty. Good luck.

Vicki

I think I agree with Vicki. I would trace over the center motif with some vellum, cut out a pattern to use white chalk with, and draw that design onto the blue areas. You could quarter it and use one quarter (1 flower design) in each large blue block. That would unify it a bit.

I also think the hibiscus flowers in the white blocks need echo quilting just in those white blocks.

It will look great when you are done.

Archived