What do you use in bobbin with your silk thread?

Recovering from a bit of a stomach bug here so hopefully I have all my senses about me today as I ask questions - and with luck make sense!

For Mother's Day Superior Threads was running a $5 off coupon code - I combined that with a gift certificate I had been waiting for just the right time to use and purchased three mini-cones of Kimono Silk thread.  I have used Invisifil by Wonderfil quite a bit but I really wanted to experiment with silk as I enjoy detail quilting so very much. 

Here's my question - what do you prefer to use in the bobbin?  I was thinking Invisifil but I do see quite a few people on the boards have mentioned using Bottom Line.  The quilt I plan to use these threads on is a show quilt so I want it to look as nice on the back as it does on the front.

Also - I hear a lot about YLI silk - can I order directly from YLI and do they have the color selection of Superior?  

Thanks in advance!  You all give such great advice here, I am grateful!   :)

Hi Valerie:

I use silk often.  It runs beautifully in my George and gives the quilt a subtle glow.  I wind the same silk on the bobbin…that way there is no thread build up on the backtracking or on dense fills.  The Superior Kimono silk is a very nice product.  Superior is a great company to deal with.  

As for YLI, there is good news and bad news.  I tried ordering (wholesale) directly from YLI a few years ago.  Unless they have changed the way they operate,  I can't recommend it.  My order was very delayed (almost six months) and when it did come, some colors were missing, some were different from what I had ordered.  The backordered threads trickled in a few at a time for months.   On the plus side, however, the thread is fantastic (thinner than the Kimono) and the colors are beautiful.  Now I just buy it from them at the big shows or I order retail online when I have to.   Nancy in Tucson

There're only two threads I ever use in the bobbin.  Magna-Glide (poly) and Magna-Quilt (cotton).  The original Magna-Glides are a very fine thread, similar in weight to Bottom Line.  I'm about to use black silk thread (also from Fil-Tec, it's called Allure) on a quilt, and will be using Magna-Glide originals in the bobbin. 

Thank you all so much for your input!  Sounds like a lot of things work well for everyone.  I think I may have some experimenting to do!  :)

Nancy - very good to know about your experience with YLI wholesale.  I may give it a try with your warning in mind - something I'm not in desperate need for - see if it is any different now.  Thank you!

I have not used silk thread in my long arm yet, looking for the opportunity to do so, but I do use alot of silk thread for needle turn applique.  YLI has alot of colors, I usually but it at quilt shows when they have a booth but I do have to say my new fav is definately the Superior Kimono and I plan to gradually replace my YLI with that as I need to...it just seems stronger to me.

Archived