I have an announcement to make!

I purchased the Hydraulic Lift a few weeks ago. After it was installed, I left town for a week. When I got back, I was sick for a week. BUT, today, I finally got a quilt on my Millie and began quilting again.

I was using rulers up at the top border and was leaning in a very uncomfortable position. SUDDENLY, my lighting fast mind remembered that I have a lift now. I went around the back and pushed the button and lifted Millie several inches higher. Back around on the front, it was a whole new world. It was up where I could easily place my rulers and draw and sew. Oh, my!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the hydraulic lift! Everyone should have one of those. I don't think APQS says enough about how important and helpful it truly is.

Honestly, I think if I had to choose between the Speed Regulator or the Lift, I would choose the Lift.

Hugs, Joy

I can tell you it is NOT easy. I would suggest two people and good tools. Also, some little parts were missing and we had to run to the hardware store. It was some kind of nuts that you use near the end of the process. Of course, your parts will probably all be there. I'm sure that is rare.

Check the thread that was on here earlier about the lady who got the lift. She put lots of pictures and described everything well.

Also, think about putting the up-down buttons on the BACK of your machine instead of the front. If on the front, you have to get behind the quilt and the batting to use them. My installer suggested it. Said his wife has 2 lifts and had one switch on the front and one on the back -- preferred the one on the back.

I can tell you this: It is worth the hassle!

Hugs, Joy

I totally agree about the lift..I'm only 5' tall and since I installed it my back has thanked me. It wasn't real hard to install but you must have 2 people and good tools and I had a problem with mounting the box on the plate. The connection cord wasn't long enough to reach the plug on the other side when you installed according to the instructions, about 3/4" short, so the box had to be shifted and mounted with only 2 screws instead of using the 4 holes as shown in the instructions, and I believe the switch was intended for the back of the machine. I posted pictures of the switch box for another person who had the same problem on a previous thread.::o

Joy -

You shouldn't feel bad about lightening needing to strike. I'd been longarming w/o a lift for about four years and then got one. I still forget it's there sometimes until my shoulders are aching.

Lightening strike is good.....

Vicki

The lift put the quilt high enough so I could do lots of couching without bending over. It's up about 8 to 10 inches. Used Razzle Dazzle thread between all the raw edge applique and there was lots of it for 17 hours including stippling. Helped my back. That's why you also need a long putter when playing golf. No bending over. Just think about what position your back is in for long periods of time.

Saw Marily Badger on Fons and Porter using a nice black padded stool. Think I'll get one of those too. They are called drafting stools. They swivel and are height adjustable.

Vicki

My machine has not arrived yet, we've got to knock out a wall in our house first -- so it will fit.

But thanks to this forum I did order the hydraulic lift. I've had trouble with my back at times, so I'm very thankful for your suggestions and for this forum.

Hopefully I will be able to install it with a little help from friends.

Thanks again.

to anyone getting or having a hydraulic lift

I did not mount my up/down switch on the frame I routed the looooooong cable under the table and have access from either front or back without having to walk around works great. wouldn`t be without mine its greeeeeaaaat.

keep on quilting

:cool:Hubert:cool:

Hmmm! Hester, I didn't get the lift because I'm not quite five feet tall and didn't think I would need it since I work with the machine at the lowest level. Of course, I do raise and lower my saddle stool depending on where I'm working on the quilt. Not the same as the lift, but it works for me for now.

Hi,

I ordered the hydraulic lift when I realized I was leaning over too much and having neck pain. I was in a minor accident prior to that and I thought I may not be able to do some serious quilting. I wish we had ordered it sooner.

I highly recommend it. I can quilt for longer periods of time with my head held higher. Have someone take a picture of you operating the machine and see what you look like. I think you will be surprised at your posture.

Happy quilting everyone.

Archived