Batik Help

Here's my disclosure upfront:  I HATE batiks, I don't sew with them at all.  The ladies in my guild even laugh at my aversion to them.  

I have a customer quilt on Freddie that's 95% batik.  I'm using QP and the machine is skipping stitches occasionally.  Is this just the nature of the beast with batiks,giving me one more reason to hate them or do batik quilts behave differently when being quilted?  I've not experienced this problem before, even when using the same pattern in QP.

If you can spray the batiks, try using an unscented fabric softner and water - 1 part water and 4 parts softner. this will make it easier for the needle to go thru the fabrics and pull the thread thru. I  do this often, but only when I know that the fabrics won't bleed. I  You can also use a little silicone like sewers aide or mineral oil on the thread cone if you can't spray the fabric.

When the batiks have been prewashed, this helps alot to prevent these kinds of problems.

Debbie

Oops!  did not mean 1 part water and 4 parts fabric softner, its 1 part water to 4 parts softner.....Thanks Lynn, for catching that mistake

Is the backing also batik?  That contributes to the problem.  Use Sewer' s Aid on your thread.  Loosen the quilt on the frame.  Be careful spraying with water.  Many batiks bleed.  I would use 4 parts water, 1 part fabric softener..not the other way around.  Try changing to a size larger needle.  Thinner poly thread like So Fine works better than thick thread or cotton of any kind. I quilt batiks all the time with no issues at all.

I managed to get it done.  Loosening the quilt on the frame seemed to help-I don't have any Sewer's Aid, but I'll put some on my shopping list.  I used So Fine! on top and Glide on the bottom.  The back was pieced with batiks and hand-dyed fabrics.  Oh well, at least this one's off my plate.  

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions!

Sullivan's silicone spray helps the needle and thread to glide thru the tight weave of batiks. I spray as I go, moving my machine off to the side first. Most often I don't need to use it tho, only on occasion. Main tip is to loosen the roller.

Archived