Quilt Show frames

DB

Hi all, I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. Several of my friends and I are planning a quilt show in May. I have been trying to find the frames to hang and display the quilts, you know the ones that are used in the shows. I have seen wooden and metal ones used at shows but can't located them for purchase. Does any one know where I could obtain these or who manufactures them? DB

For our quilt shows, we contact a general rent-all company. The have the "racks" that are made of a kind of white PVC piping. We take a piece of fabric and have a quilt pinned well to either side and drape them over the top so a quilt is hanging on either side of the pipes. Kind of makes me cringe to think of us pinning the quilts up, but we use many pins so it doesn't seem to be pulling on the quilt. We are lucky, as this company comes in before the show and installs the racks, then takes them down at the end.

For that price you could buy a bunch of lumber and make them more solid....I would be scared that the ones on the link would get pushed over should you have a breeze come through your hall or if you have it outside....and I don't think you can hang two quilts back to back on that frame. Just an additional thought.

Thank you all for your replies. Thank you Ramona for the web site, I wasn't able to locate any when I did an internet search. The one shown at Craft Guard is a little concerning because of the spread on the footing. I would be afraid of someone tripping. We had also thought of an outside show, I have a small orchard and thought that some of the trees would still be in bloom, so hanging the quilts between the trees would be pretty. The big problem with that is the weather, it's so unpredictable, if it rained we'd be doomed. Last week it was about 5-15 degrees, today it's supposed to hit 70. DB

Our Guild quilt show used rented pipe-and-drape (official commercial name for systems used at trade shows to separate vendors) It is pricey but wonderful. They set up, our volunteers pin the quilts to the drape, we take the quilts down, and they dismantle. The system is very stable and safe. To hang over three hundred quilts in three large areas for three days cost us over $4000. Whew!

We will do it again this year without a second thought because borrowing stands, storing them, setting up and taking down and getting all the stands back to the correct owners took a week's work besides the two days of the show. Too much wear-and-tear on our group of willing volunteers! Good luck with your show.

Linda Rech

I know the quilt frames at craft gaurd are a little pricey. They are what we use in our guild for our quilt shows and we have never had a problem with them and we have also hung quilts front and back. They do fold up nicely and go into a dufflebag type thing. But you have to do what is right for you. I can see where if they were outside they might blow over. One nice thing about them is you don't need a sleeve to hang the quilts.

Have a great day everyone.

Romona

Archived