Fabric Advance - sparks

Sometimes when I use the button on the box of my fabric advance it creates a spark inside the motor when I have to forward then reverse quickly.   Do I need to worry about that?    Doesn't happen when I use the pedal, only when I use the switch on the box.

Sparks from motor brushes are nothing to be concerned about. In a dark room you'll see sparks every time you use the motor. The friction on the carbon brushes is what conducts electricity between the stationary and rotating parts. Big sparks are caused, as Ann shared above, when you reverse directions before a complete stop. This will wear out the brushes faster.

Also, don't store oily rags or cans of gasoline on top of the casing. (I'm kidding!)   :D

This Public Service Announcement sponsored by Denny Rech, the mechanical engineer.

When Myrna Ficken was here doing a group training several years back, she saw the Sparks on my older 2008 machine's fabric advance. She immediately went over and tightened everything and the Sparks went away. It had worked loose. There is a black Allen wrench with a handle that comes with the machine and two screws that need tightened. And maybe another bolt on the end. Can't remember for sure.

Archived